Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All being well, I'll be performing a server move tomorrow morning (4th December 2017) at around 10am.

I'll put the site in to a read-only mode during the transfer, which may take a couple of hours. During this time, it won't be possible to make any posts, only read existing threads.

I'll make the switch as quick as I can :). This is a move I would have rather avoided making, but we've been having some problems with the hosting company, so need to make the jump.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It'll be fine, we have faith in you!

I saw a server move notice on the site on Saturday (I think?) morning, Was that a tester?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys :).

I saw a server move notice on the site on Saturday (I think?) morning, Was that a tester?

That was an attempt at the move, as it should have only taken 10 mins... but there was a problem that put a stop to it. However, it looks like I've run in to the same problem again, and there's no easy way around it - so I may just need to do it the slow way... which may take hours :(.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We're now on the new server - if the site is slow for you, it is likely because you're still viewing the old (in sync) server. The DNS should switch over within the hour :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, it's also worth mentioning we're using HTTP2 - which should improve the load time for pages with lots of resources (images, js files, etc...) :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Woo, we is back.

Is there a way to tell if you're on the old or new server out of interest?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it fast? If so, you're on the new one :D

The old server is routed via the new one, so it'll be much slower than normal - you'd notice the delay.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, well here at home its rapid so its the new one I assume. Work internet has been slow as hell all day so I wouldn't have known either way!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent! Please let me know if you spot any problems :). The site was pretty zippy before, so I can't notice much improvement - but I'll check the stats in a few days and see what loading times look like in comparison :D.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is it fast? If so, you're on the new one :D

The old server is routed via the new one, so it'll be much slower than normal - you'd notice the delay.

TBH, I can't see any difference. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TBH, I can't see any difference. :)

That means you're on the new server :thumb:. When all goes to plan, it should mean we can't tell anything happened :D.

Anyone hitting the "old" server would have a much bigger lag than they would normally experience, as it is currently acting as a "middle man" so that the servers are in sync.

Ask a Question