server 2003 enterprise locks ups when clients connect

G

I have a computer lab running Server 2003. The server is a Proliant 1600 I have two types of workstations: Athlon 2600s and older PIII 700s, all running XP Pro. All have 3Com NICs. The server locks up when the PIIIs are on the network but it doesn't lock up when the Athlons are connected. As soon as the older machines are connected, the server begins to slow, then stops responding. As soon as I unplug the PIIIs from the network, the server unlocks. All machines are clean installs. All service packs and NIC drivers are updated on all machines in question. I also did a clean install of Windows 2000 on the older machines, and the problem remains. I also installed a NIC from the new Athlons in a PIII and the problem remains. I am thinking of trying a 2000 server instead, hoping this will resolve the problem. I need the workstations to run XP, as we're going to edit video with Premiere Pro. Thanks for any suggestions!

G

Solution found: welchia worm. No sooner did I install a clean OS on a workstataion--Service Pack X included--did the wor
infect the machine. My network GOD noticed abnormally high packets being transmitted which tipped him of
to scan for welchia. There ya go!

Ask a Question