Septup.dll Removing files created by application.

fhunter

This question is a follow-up to an uninstall issue I am
having. I need to be able to delete files that are
created during the excution of the application. The
standard uninstall "Remove Program" process on the
Smartphone does not take care of these files.
So I have been reading about the possibility of adding a
setup.dll in the cab file that will be called during
uninstall.
I have followed the few examples (mostly for PocketPC) I
have found and added (As in added the file in Visual
Studio and set the type to Content) to my Cab file.
Unfortunatelly the methods in the dll do not seem to be
getting called. I don't get any error messages or
anything. It just does not execute.

Would any one have a clear working example of how to
create add and use this dll? I must be doing somthing
wrong.

I have added the following lines to my .inf file:

[DefaultInstall.ARMV4]
CopyFiles=Files.ARMV4
CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll

[DefaultInstall.X86]
CopyFiles=Files.X86
CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll

Anything else that I should check.

Stan Adermann [Msft]

You probably want to replace the vsd_setup.dll in your .inf, rather than
try to use CESelfRegister. Vsd_setup basically tries to detect whether
.NETCF is on the device, but is not required to make your application work.
Then you can impliment the Uninstall_Exit function which deletes the files
in question.

Stan Adermann
Microsoft
.NET Compact Framework

| From: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Septup.dll Removing files created by application.
|
| This question is a follow-up to an uninstall issue I am
| having. I need to be able to delete files that are
| created during the excution of the application. The
| standard uninstall "Remove Program" process on the
| Smartphone does not take care of these files.
| So I have been reading about the possibility of adding a
| setup.dll in the cab file that will be called during
| uninstall.
| I have followed the few examples (mostly for PocketPC) I
| have found and added (As in added the file in Visual
| Studio and set the type to Content) to my Cab file.
| Unfortunatelly the methods in the dll do not seem to be
| getting called. I don't get any error messages or
| anything. It just does not execute.
|
| Would any one have a clear working example of how to
| create add and use this dll? I must be doing somthing
| wrong.
|
| I have added the following lines to my .inf file:
|
| [DefaultInstall.ARMV4]
| CopyFiles=Files.ARMV4
| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
|
| [DefaultInstall.X86]
| CopyFiles=Files.X86
| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
|
| Anything else that I should check.

fhunter

Thanks you Stan,
I tried what you suggested and it did not seem to make
any difference at all. No errors no problems, But also no
messages and no deleted files.

Does any one else have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks

fhunter

I think my reply got lost. So I will try again.
Thanks for your reply Stan.

I tried your suggestion but no luck. I get the feeling
that nothing at all is happening. The custom dlls are not
being called. For example I entered the name of a dll
that is not even there test.dll and I got no error.

In addition when installing the application on a
Smartphone 2002 that does not have .Net I get absolutelly
no errors. Shouldn't the vsd_setup.dll throw a .Net not
found error?

Thanks

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Have you followed the API conventions listed in the following article ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcesetup/htm/_wcesdk_Using_Installat
ion_Functions_in_Setupdll.asp?frame=true

Also, could you send me the snippet of your .INF file that references a
setup DLL? That may help me figure out what's going on. Also, how are you
building the new CAB file once you've modified the .INF file?

| From: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Septup.dll Removing files created by application.
| Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:10:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| I think my reply got lost. So I will try again.
| Thanks for your reply Stan.
|
| I tried your suggestion but no luck. I get the feeling
| that nothing at all is happening. The custom dlls are not
| being called. For example I entered the name of a dll
| that is not even there test.dll and I got no error.
|
| In addition when installing the application on a
| Smartphone 2002 that does not have .Net I get absolutelly
| no errors. Shouldn't the vsd_setup.dll throw a .Net not
| found error?
|
| Thanks

| >|
| >| This question is a follow-up to an uninstall issue I
| am
| >| having. I need to be able to delete files that are
| >| created during the excution of the application. The
| >| standard uninstall "Remove Program" process on the
| >| Smartphone does not take care of these files.
| >| So I have been reading about the possibility of adding
| >| setup.dll in the cab file that will be called during
| >| uninstall.
| >| I have followed the few examples (mostly for PocketPC)
| >| have found and added (As in added the file in Visual
| >| Studio and set the type to Content) to my Cab file.
| >| Unfortunatelly the methods in the dll do not seem to
| be
| >| getting called. I don't get any error messages or
| >| anything. It just does not execute.
| >|
| >| Would any one have a clear working example of how to
| >| create add and use this dll? I must be doing somthing
| >| wrong.
| >|
| >| I have added the following lines to my .inf file:
| >|
| >| [DefaultInstall.ARMV4]
| >| CopyFiles=Files.ARMV4
| >| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| >| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
| >|
| >| [DefaultInstall.X86]
| >| CopyFiles=Files.X86
| >| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| >| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
| >|
| >| Anything else that I should check.
| >|

| >.

fhunter

Found the problem.
I was modifiying the

[DefaultInstall.ARM]
and
[DefaultInstall.X86]

But I needed to modify

[DefaultInstall]

Thanks

Have you followed the API conventions listed in the following article ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en- us/wcesetup/htm/_wcesdk_Using_Installat
ion_Functions_in_Setupdll.asp?frame=true

Also, could you send me the snippet of your .INF file that references a
setup DLL? That may help me figure out what's going on. Also, how are you
building the new CAB file once you've modified the .INF file?

| From: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "fhunter" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Septup.dll Removing files created by application.
| Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:10:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| I think my reply got lost. So I will try again.
| Thanks for your reply Stan.
|
| I tried your suggestion but no luck. I get the feeling
| that nothing at all is happening. The custom dlls are not
| being called. For example I entered the name of a dll
| that is not even there test.dll and I got no error.
|
| In addition when installing the application on a
| Smartphone 2002 that does not have .Net I get absolutelly
| no errors. Shouldn't the vsd_setup.dll throw a .Net not
| found error?
|
| Thanks

| >|
| >| This question is a follow-up to an uninstall issue I
| am
| >| having. I need to be able to delete files that are
| >| created during the excution of the application. The
| >| standard uninstall "Remove Program" process on the
| >| Smartphone does not take care of these files.
| >| So I have been reading about the possibility of adding
| >| setup.dll in the cab file that will be called during
| >| uninstall.
| >| I have followed the few examples (mostly for PocketPC)
| >| have found and added (As in added the file in Visual
| >| Studio and set the type to Content) to my Cab file.
| >| Unfortunatelly the methods in the dll do not seem to
| be
| >| getting called. I don't get any error messages or
| >| anything. It just does not execute.
| >|
| >| Would any one have a clear working example of how to
| >| create add and use this dll? I must be doing somthing
| >| wrong.
| >|
| >| I have added the following lines to my .inf file:
| >|
| >| [DefaultInstall.ARMV4]
| >| CopyFiles=Files.ARMV4
| >| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| >| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
| >|
| >| [DefaultInstall.X86]
| >| CopyFiles=Files.X86
| >| CESelfRegister = Setup.dll (This was added)
| >| CESetupDLL=vsd_setup.dll
| >|

.