Sending automatic email + Bloomberg

freddie mac

Hello! I have a thing that I want to do but I do not know if this is
possible. I have a spreadsheet on a Blommberg PC that has Excel. I
download prespecified data from Bloomberg to the spreadsheet at a
certain time once every day. The data that I am dowloadning to the
spreadsheet is different ratings for different banks. Now I want to
send out an email (automatically) if a rating has changed. In this
email I want to show:

1) what bank has a new rating
2) what the old rating was
3) what the new rating is

I use the DDE to connect Bloomberg to the spreadsheet and this works
fine. Now what I do not know is how (if possible) you send out en email
if any rating has changed. Is this best done from Excel or Bloomberg?
Any assistance is very much appreciated. I can post some more detalied
info concerning this at request. Thank you very much for your time.

Shaka215

How much money you going to pay me for the code to do this? =) Good
luck with that one btw...I'm sure someone out there will be able to
come up with some extremely long VBA code to get that to work...

freddie mac

I do not mean to sound rude but I am not going "pay" you anything no
was I asking for a complete code. If my message gave that impression
apologize. I was merely asking if anyone knew how to solve it on
conceptual level

NickHK

If you have the data in Excel, it should be easy enough to trigger an email
from the WS_change event.
See http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm for sending a WB.
If you only want to send the text see
http://www.vb-helper.com/howto_shell_mail.html

You would have continually save the "old" values somewhere, so could include
the old rating, possibly just in an array.

I have no idea what Bloomberg offers in its package, but as someone else
advised recently, contact their help desk and ask.

NickHK

"freddie mac" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Freddie Mac eh? At least you're not calling yourself Fannie Mae...

Anyhow, your firm will be paying about $1500 per bloomberg per month, so get
onto their helpdesk and ask them to help you.

Here are a few things to beware of:

1. You are not allowed to distribute Bloomberg data to PCs that do not have
a full Bloomberg license installed.
2. You will need to keep the "old" rating and the new rating.
3. Which rating are you interested in? Moody, S&P, Fitch?
4. Best place to do this is in Excel
5. Best not to do this automatically, since Excel is not a server component
and neither is Bloomberg. Either schedule this if you must or just create a
simple front end sheet with a button to click to fire the code.
6. Don't get cute and try and use event code - it will not always work.
KISS is the principle to maintain when dealing with this sort of problem.

Have a crack at it and post back if you get stuck.

Good luck

freddie mac

Hello Nick (and everyone else that reads this message)!

I contacted the Bloomberg helpdesk but they said that the only email
alert the Bloomberg offers concerns price changes on securities. Thus I
will have to send the email from Excel. I was just wondering how the
WS_Change works? The worksheet is updated every day meaning the "new"
but identical info is downloaded onto the spreadsheet. Is that a
problem for the WS_Change or does react only to "real" changes? To
clarify on date 2001-01-01 the rating for ABN Amro is AA. Now the
spreadsheet is updated 2001-01-02 but ABN Amro has the same rating. Is
this going to be a problem? If so is there any way of solving that or
different solution approach? I have very grateful for any assistance.
Thank you ver much!

Fannie Mae is his wife :)