Selecting multiple items in a file

G

When I want to select, often to delete, multiple items in a file (for example, "My Music"), but I want to select only certain items and not others, how do I do it? I have been holding down the control button as I highlight each item I select, and now I have hundreds of copies of each of the selected items in the file. Which brings me to my second question. How do I get rid of these copies now, short of deleting each one individually? Thanks for all the help you all are always so generous to give me! Blondie

G

Hi Blondie

This has happened to me before too, and what I was doing was inadvertently dragging my mouse from one item to the next which created copies. Try to hold the control key down and click each item individually, being sure to finish clicking one item before clicking on the next that you want to delete.

To delete a large group of items, you can click your left mouse button on the upper left hand corner of the area and while still holding the mouse button down, move your mouse to create a dotted-line box that grays out the items within it. This selects all of the items within the box. Then you can hit delete, and the group will be gone

I hope that this helps

Jill Aubr
Developer Divisio
Microsoft Corporatio
**This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.**

G

Hi, Jill--
Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion on my "My Music" song files and just ended up with more copies, this time with "shortcuts"! Am I supposed to be holding down the control key the entire time? I am clicking each item individually, and slowly going to the next item instead of dragging my mouse along.

I also tried your second hint, and it didn't seem to work at all to include several song files to delete at once. I ended up moving the songs I wanted to keep to another file temporarily and using the "Edit, Select All" feature to delete 2,010 copies to my recycle bin. Then I moved the songs I kept back into the "My Music" file. But I know I will need to learn how to do this for other types of files, so I'd like to find out how. Thanks for trying, though!

Blondie

----- Jill Aubry wrote: -----

Hi Blondie,

This has happened to me before too, and what I was doing was inadvertently dragging my mouse from one item to the next which created copies. Try to hold the control key down and click each item individually, being sure to finish clicking one item before clicking on the next that you want to delete.

To delete a large group of items, you can click your left mouse button on the upper left hand corner of the area and while still holding the mouse button down, move your mouse to create a dotted-line box that grays out the items within it. This selects all of the items within the box. Then you can hit delete, and the group will be gone.

I hope that this helps.

Jill Aubry
Developer Division
Microsoft Corporation
**This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.**

Ask a Question