Security Update File Protection Error

G

I just did three security updates for WinXP and the fourth one, KB839645, failed. I now have a "Windows File Protection" screen saying:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

The network location from which the files should be copied, C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386/controls.man, is not available.

Contact your system administrator or insert Windows XP KB839645 Source Files now."

I inserted my XP CD and it comes up with various menu selections, but I'm stuck on how to proceed since it doesn't automatically search and load the correct files. Can anyone please advise?

Thank you in advance,
Bob

G

I tried this same suggestion you off here, however, I am still getting the same error.

Then if I check for updates, I am still told that KB839645 still needs to be installed.

I looked under Start, Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs and it shows KB839645 as installed.

Any further thoughts?

E

Eclosion

Ignore the WFP error. In this case, it is spurious, and you can ignore
(cancel) it. The update is properly installed.

If you still aren't convinced that KB839645 is installed properly,
reboot and try to install it again. You should not get the WFP error
this time.

Ask a Question