security problem setting up peer-peer

J

Joe Befumo

I'm asking this question here because I'm pretty sure it's a security problem. I've set up many client/server networks using NT, 200, 2003 Servers with various workstations, but this is my first attempt at a peer-peer (I though it was going to be a slam-dunk...) Anyway, here's the problem:

My brother has an old HP with a Pentium III 700 Mhz., an has just bought a Compaq with an AMD, NIC on the motherboard, etc. Both are running XP Home.His intent is to use the new machine exclusively for music production, and the old one for surfing the web, general word processing, etc.

Anyway, I had an old network card and a hub laying around, so I offered to network them for him.

I started by putting the card in the old machine. XP recognized it immediately, installed drivers, and I set up TCP/IP on it with no problem. I can browse to Network Neighborhood, see the workgroup, see the local machine in it, see a test directory share, etc. Then I moved on ot the Compaq.

The first thing I noticed was that it showed TWO network adaptors in the Network Connections console in Control Panel. (I confirmed that there was only one RJ45 jack in the back of the machine.) One shows as "1394 Net Adaptor", and the other as "Realtek RTL 8139/81x Family." To jump ahead a bit, by a process of configuring each to implement the workgroup connection, and watching the lights on the hub, I was able to detemine that the Realtek appears to be the one that is physically connected to the RJ45 jack.

Anyway, when I set up the Realtek connection, configure it with a fixed IP and network mask compatible with the other machine (192.168,0,1 and 2, Mask 255.255.255.0), and set it to be a part of the same work group, I get the following errors when I try to browse the network.

First, there is a lengthy delay, after which it says:

Myworkgroup is not accessible. Yoiu might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator, then: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

In the event log I see the following:

ipsec services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on machine.

A few more details: While it is trying to make the connection, I can see activity on the corresponding hub connection. Also, I edited the user profile on both machines, giving him admin privs on both machines. Finally, note that the Compaq can't even see itself on the workgroup.

The only thing I didn't try was removing the "1394" mystery adaptor. (I didn't want to do anything that might trash his machine.)

I'm totally baffled. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

G

'1394' is an IEEE connector, nothing to do with Ethernet, although it
behaves similarly. It's mostly used for connencting video cameras or external
hard-disks.

Check for misconfigured firewalls first of all.

See if you can ping one computer from the other.

See if you can map a drive with:

net use h: \\server\share /user:username

Sometimes network-browsing takes a while to establish itself, maybe
15-30min. Or sometimes it just don't want to play ball. That's the way it is,
and the reason I recommend connecting with NET USE commands.

J

Joe Befumo

Thanks Ian,

I did turn off the firewall, but I'll experiment wth your other
suggestions. Thanks.

Joe

Ask a Question