Security Permissions Problem

While setting up a Packard Bell Vista Home Premium laptop for a friend I got
a "you do not have permission to do this" type error message when I tried to
upgrade the laptop from Windows Update to Microsoft Update (I would have
written the exact error message down but it disappeared off the screen very
quickly).

As a result of this he now gets an error every time he runs Microsoft Update
which I am pursuing as a separate issue but I want to try to detemine why he
doesn't have the right security permissions to do this as it may cause other
problems in the future. His user account is an Admin account (User Account
Control is switched on) so he should have the correct permissions to upgrade
to Microsoft Update and I've never encountered this problem before despite
upgrading 30 plus Vista machines in this way. Can anyone help?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I cannot reproduce your issue. Could you let us know the
exact error message when you try to access Microsoft Update website so tat
we can perform further research?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Security Permissions Problem
| Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:28:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| While setting up a Packard Bell Vista Home Premium laptop for a friend I
got
| a "you do not have permission to do this" type error message when I tried
| upgrade the laptop from Windows Update to Microsoft Update (I would have
| written the exact error message down but it disappeared off the screen
very
| quickly).
|
| As a result of this he now gets an error every time he runs Microsoft
Update
| which I am pursuing as a separate issue but I want to try to detemine why
he
| doesn't have the right security permissions to do this as it may cause
other
| problems in the future. His user account is an Admin account (User
Account
| Control is switched on) so he should have the correct permissions to
upgrade
| to Microsoft Update and I've never encountered this problem before
despite
| upgrading 30 plus Vista machines in this way. Can anyone help?

Ken,

The error message from Microsoft Update is 0x80070002. This error is
documented in the Knowledge Base under article id 910336 which basically says
that the cause of this error is attempting to download an update and some
files are missing from the update.

However, in my case immediately prior to this problem I got a security
permissions error when trying to upgrade to Microsoft Update as described in
the main post. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the way the Packard
Bell have configured Vista in their image as when I set the computer up two
startup programs couldn't run because they needed permission to do so.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I cannot reproduce your issue. Could you let us know the
exact error message when you try to access Microsoft Update website so tat
we can perform further research?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Security Permissions Problem
| Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:28:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| While setting up a Packard Bell Vista Home Premium laptop for a friend I
got
| a "you do not have permission to do this" type error message when I tried
| upgrade the laptop from Windows Update to Microsoft Update (I would have
| written the exact error message down but it disappeared off the screen
very
| quickly).
|
| As a result of this he now gets an error every time he runs Microsoft
Update
| which I am pursuing as a separate issue but I want to try to detemine why
he
| doesn't have the right security permissions to do this as it may cause
other
| problems in the future. His user account is an Admin account (User
Account
| Control is switched on) so he should have the correct permissions to
upgrade
| to Microsoft Update and I've never encountered this problem before
despite
| upgrading 30 plus Vista machines in this way. Can anyone help?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

I am not sure how Packard Bell configured this Vista image. You may consult
them to see if they have any information about this issue.

Also you may let us know the exact permission error message.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:08:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Ken,
|
| The error message from Microsoft Update is 0x80070002. This error is
| documented in the Knowledge Base under article id 910336 which basically
says
| that the cause of this error is attempting to download an update and some
| files are missing from the update.
|
| However, in my case immediately prior to this problem I got a security
| permissions error when trying to upgrade to Microsoft Update as described
in
| the main post. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the way the
Packard
| Bell have configured Vista in their image as when I set the computer up
two
| startup programs couldn't run because they needed permission to do so.
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, I cannot reproduce your issue. Could you let us know
the
| > exact error message when you try to access Microsoft Update website so
tat
| > we can perform further research?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| > | Subject: Security Permissions Problem
| > | Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:28:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > | upgrade the laptop from Windows Update to Microsoft Update (I would
have
| > | written the exact error message down but it disappeared off the
screen
| > very
| > | quickly).
| > |
| > | As a result of this he now gets an error every time he runs Microsoft
| > Update
| > | which I am pursuing as a separate issue but I want to try to detemine
why
| > he
| > | doesn't have the right security permissions to do this as it may
cause
| > other
| > | problems in the future. His user account is an Admin account (User
| > Account
| > | Control is switched on) so he should have the correct permissions to
| > upgrade
| > | to Microsoft Update and I've never encountered this problem before
| > despite
| > | upgrading 30 plus Vista machines in this way. Can anyone help?
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:22:26 GMT
| Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello,
|
| I am not sure how Packard Bell configured this Vista image. You may
consult
| them to see if they have any information about this issue.
|
| Also you may let us know the exact permission error message.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| | Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| | Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:08:03 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | Ken,
| |
| | The error message from Microsoft Update is 0x80070002. This error is
| | documented in the Knowledge Base under article id 910336 which
basically
| says
| | that the cause of this error is attempting to download an update and
some
| | files are missing from the update.
| |
| | However, in my case immediately prior to this problem I got a security
| | permissions error when trying to upgrade to Microsoft Update as
described
| in
| | the main post. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the way the
| Packard
| | Bell have configured Vista in their image as when I set the computer up
| two
| | startup programs couldn't run because they needed permission to do so.
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello,
| | >
| | > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| | >
| | > From your post, I cannot reproduce your issue. Could you let us know
| the
| | > exact error message when you try to access Microsoft Update website
so
| tat
| | > we can perform further research?
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| have
| screen
| | > very
| | > |
Microsoft
| | > Update
| why
| | > he
| cause
| | > other
| | > Account
| | > upgrade
| | > despite
| | > |

| |

Hi Ken,

Apologies for my delayed reply, for some reason I didn't get notified of
your response on 28/8 but did get notified of your posting today.

My client wont pay for me to talk to Packard Bell - he doesn't fully
appreciate the importance of Microsoft Update and to be truthful the chances
of getting anything sensible out of them are probably pretty remote.

Thanks for your help on this and if I can get the permissions error the next
time I work on his machine l'll re-post.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:22:26 GMT
| Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello,
|
| I am not sure how Packard Bell configured this Vista image. You may
consult
| them to see if they have any information about this issue.
|
| Also you may let us know the exact permission error message.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| | Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| | Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:08:03 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | Ken,
| |
| | The error message from Microsoft Update is 0x80070002. This error is
| | documented in the Knowledge Base under article id 910336 which
basically
| says
| | that the cause of this error is attempting to download an update and
some
| | files are missing from the update.
| |
| | However, in my case immediately prior to this problem I got a security
| | permissions error when trying to upgrade to Microsoft Update as
described
| in
| | the main post. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the way the
| Packard
| | Bell have configured Vista in their image as when I set the computer up
| two
| | startup programs couldn't run because they needed permission to do so.
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello,
| | >
| | > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| | >
| | > From your post, I cannot reproduce your issue. Could you let us know
| the
| | > exact error message when you try to access Microsoft Update website
so
| tat
| | > we can perform further research?
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| have
| screen
| | > very
| | > |
Microsoft
| | > Update
| why
| | > he
| cause
| | > other
| | > Account
| | > upgrade
| | > despite
| | > |

| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and let us know the current situation. If you will
have this issue, please feel free to post back.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:48:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken,
|
| Apologies for my delayed reply, for some reason I didn't get notified of
| your response on 28/8 but did get notified of your posting today.
|
| My client wont pay for me to talk to Packard Bell - he doesn't fully
| appreciate the importance of Microsoft Update and to be truthful the
chances
| of getting anything sensible out of them are probably pretty remote.
|

| Thanks for your help on this and if I can get the permissions error the
next
| time I work on his machine l'll re-post.
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:22:26 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: Security Permissions Problem
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | I am not sure how Packard Bell configured this Vista image. You may
| > consult
| > | them to see if they have any information about this issue.
| > |
| > | Also you may let us know the exact permission error message.
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |