Secured apps with smart minimizing.

David D Webb

We have a medical app that requires a user to log in every time they use the
app. For HIPAA compliance, all data is encrypted, the user must log in with
a personal account and pw, and if the app is left idle for X minutes, it
will automatically log the user out.

Up until this point, we have skipped the whole smart-minimize thing and just
shut down the app when they close it. With Windows Mobile 5.0, the load
times are starting to get rediculously long, so I am looking at using
smart-minimizing. There are 2 main problems to this.

1) There is NO minimize event. What the ??? I found some code snippets
that used the deactivate event to detect the minimizing, but they no longer
work in MW5. If I can detect this, I can set a global flag, and have this
checked in the form's activate event.

2) When the user restarts the application, it just activates the last active
form. Again, there is no un-minimize event or start event or anything, just
activate (which is useless if I can't tell what activated it). I need some
way to throw up the login form when they come back. If I could detect this,
I could open a login form when they came back.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Dave

David D Webb

Yes, but you can't tell the difference between a normal Activate/Deactivate
and a minimize or restart app.

-Dave

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Does that matter? Shouldn't it display the dialog iff the application has
been inactive for the time-out period? If the user pops up the calendar for
twenty seconds and then returns to the application, should that force a
re-login? If so, it seems like any Activate would trigger one.

Paul T.

David D Webb

But an Activate event happens when you first open the form, any time you
switch back and forth to it, or even after a message box popup. So it does
matter. The login box would only pop-up if they were inactive in the
application for say 60 minutes or if they manually exited the app, then
restarted it. I have the inactive part working, but I can't detect when
they have manually closed (smart-minimized) the app, then restarted it.

-Dave

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

For case #1, when opening the form the first time, you *want* to do that, so
a flag set for 'first-entry' would take care of that. After that, you want
to wait for a time-out, no? Activate/Deactivate is irrelevant until the
time-out occurs and, when it does, you ask for the password on the next
Activate, whatever caused it.

Paul T.