Secure websites

Reaction score
Without me changing any of my browser settings, my PC has decided to stop me from viewing any websites over a secure connection, eg Hotmail - where you would normally see a padlock at the bottom right of the window.

I've tried changing my security and profile levels in Internet Options, but nothing seems to work. My cipher strength is still 128-bit.

Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but ever since I've had this problem I get a message telling me that DWWIN.exe failed to initialize when I shut my PC down.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

Any suggestions welcome!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmm ... two for one

DWWIN.exe failed to initialize
This means that there is a program you are running that is crashing during system shutdown. When the crash occurs the OS launches dwwin.exe to report the error, however the window station is shutting down and so the application can't launch. Your problem isn't with dwwin.exe, you need to figure out what application is actually crashing at shutdown.

View the event log ... Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/eventvwr.
To review Shutdown Event Tracker data, Open Event Viewer. Click System Log, scroll to the Event column, and find entries with the number 1075.

secure connection problem
Clear the SSL slate and autocomplete history in IE.
Open IE, then go "tools" ... "Internet options" ... "content".

You should see "Certificates" heading. Under this, click "Clear SSL State" and then when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared you click "OK".

Next go to the "Personal information" heading and click "AutoComplete". You will see "Clear AutoComplete history", just click "Clear Forms" and then click OK when prompted.

If these don't fix your problems, then you'll need to run a few scans on your computer to see if you have any viruses/trojans/malware/spyware that is blocking it.

;)

Ask a Question