secure server problems

Hi, I am having a problem getting to some web sites that I have previously
been able to access. They are .mil sites, however, I can get to some, but
others say the page cannot be displayed. I know these sites are up and
running because I have had to use another computer to access them. Any
suggestions?

PA Bear

See if any of these pages help you, Michelle:

Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444

Sandi's Secure Sites Page
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Use Security and Privacy Features in Internet Explorer 6 (WinXP)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/security/ie6.asp

Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.asp

I think I have tried them all, except for the one where I delete my
profile/user for my computer. I may try that but am afraid of losing
important stuff. This is making me crazy. I moved to Spain so I was
thinking it may have something to do with the DSL service, because like I
said before, these sites used to work. I am just baffled. If you have any
other suggestions, please, please let me know! I thank you so much!

Thank you Don, I did try that and it did not work. At this point the
situation seems to be hopeless to me. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Setup a new user account to see if that account has the problem. If the new
account has the problem, there's no reason to abandon your current account.
279783 - How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
811151 - How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Michelle" wrote in message
I think I have tried them all, except for the one where I delete my
profile/user for my computer. I may try that but am afraid of losing
important stuff. This is making me crazy. I moved to Spain so I was
thinking it may have something to do with the DSL service, because like I
said before, these sites used to work. I am just baffled. If you have any
other suggestions, please, please let me know! I thank you so much!

Robert Aldwinckle

Michelle said:
Hi, I am having a problem getting to some web sites that I have previously
been able to access. They are .mil sites, however, I can get to some, but
others say the page cannot be displayed. I know these sites are up and
running because I have had to use another computer to access them. Any
suggestions?

Try some diagnosis? Why can't the page be displayed?
Is it because of your DNS? E.g. use nslookup to test
If it can't find the address you have your answer.

Use nslookup on the other computer too to see what DNS server
it is using.

In any case if that is the problem you could temporarily
add that lookup to your HOSTS file.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I am unsure what to do after I run nslookup. I'm not a real
genious when it comes to my computer. When I search for hosts folders I get
more than one and some shortcuts. I am not sure how to add anything to it.
The error message I get is page cannot be displayed. If you could tell me
how to do these things it would be much helpful.
thanks!

Don Varnau

Michelle,
Which version of Windows?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Michelle" wrote in message

I am using windows xp home version.

Don Varnau said:
Michelle,
Which version of Windows?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Michelle" wrote in message
Thank you Don, I did try that and it did not work. At this point the
situation seems to be hopeless to me. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Don Varnau

Hi,

If running a cable modem, dsl modem or router, have you, at some point, shut
everything down for a few minutes? This sometimes helps.

Or, deleting the History folder and Temporary Internet Files folder may
help:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Try disabling third-party security programs to see if one of them is causing
this. Before disabling a third-party firewall, be sure to turn on the
Windows firewall.

[WinXP]
Try opening a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.

Or (Folder Options> View) make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and
is not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file at
[WinXP]
[C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If there
are any redirect entries in it you can put the pound sign (#) in front an
entry to disable that redirect/block. Or you can rename the HOSTS file to
(for example)
HOSTS.OLD
More on the HOSTS file at http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/ and
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Michelle" wrote in message

Thank you Don,
I tried all you have suggested and am still stuck. I have a question about
that hosts file. When I opened it, it just says it is an example. I had
just thought of something to add about my connection. We have moved to Spain
recently, and I was thinking it may be my ISP configs or something. But it
still does not make any sense why I can still access some of the .mil sites
and not others. I did find out that my IP address is not what has been put
in my TCP/IP settings. Could my problem be just with my providers settings
and not my IE?

"Michelle" wrote in message
I am using windows xp home version.

Don Varnau

Hi,
The "real" hosts file has no extension. It's just HOSTS. HOSTS.SAM and
LMHOSTS aren't what we're looking for.

Given that you can connect to some MIL sites, I don't think that your IP
Address is an issue.

Given that you're trying to connect to MIL sites through a Spanish ISP, the
problem may be at the ISP.

Any way to try another computer through your internet connection?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
[...]

"Michelle" wrote in message
Anyone?
If
the new

Robert Aldwinckle

Michelle said:
Thank you. I am unsure what to do after I run nslookup.

Just look at the result. If you are getting a good lookup without a timeout
it should indicate that IE is getting a good lookup without a timeout too.

I suggested also that you compare lookups on two different systems.
Obviously then you would be interested in seeing if they were the same.

I sort of agree with Don that being able to see one .mil site makes it more
likely that you should be able to see any .mil site but if the one you can't
access is an alias that could cause a significant difference in lookup
behaviour, again depending on the DNS involved.

I'm not a real
genious when it comes to my computer. When I search for hosts folders I get
more than one and some shortcuts. I am not sure how to add anything to it.
The error message I get is page cannot be displayed. If you could tell me
how to do these things it would be much helpful.
thanks!

This would only be useful if you find that the lookup on your problem
system is different from the lookup on your working system.
However, FYI see my reply today to:

Subject: Cannot find server or DNS Error
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:04:04 -0700

for a specific example of the technique.

Good luck

Robert
---

No way I can try another pc with my connection. I tried something though, I
downloaded Mozilla Firefix to see if it would get me to these sites. Nope.
With one site, I get an error that says it cannot be found(it does exist
elsewhere than my pc), and other 2 it just says operation timed out.
Unfortunately this didn't work for me.

"Michelle" wrote in message
I am using windows xp home version.

: