Searching Word files

stevewy

I need to search about 100 Word documents for any occurrence of the
phrase "Computer Centre". When I try Windows Search it seems to return
the names of documents containing either "Computer" or "Centre".
Putting single or double quotes around the phrase does not work. The
same happens when I try the internal Word document search function.

How can I search Word documents for a specific phrase? I don't know
why the Windows search function refuses to behave...

Steve Wylie

Timothy L

When you are searching using Windows file search, are you entering the text in the "Search for file or folders
named" box OR in the "Containing text:" box?

I have never used Microsoft Word's internal search, but I do need to ask how (exactly) are you searching in
that also.

In addition, what version of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Word do yo have? (i.e. Microsoft Windows XP and
Microsoft Word 2003)

stevewy

Well, it's Windows XP so there is a box called "All of part of the file
name:" and one below that called "A word or phrase in the file:". It's
the second one I'm using to type the phrase computer centre into.

I'm using Word 2002, but the Word search is hideously complicated
compared to Windows' version. But the result is the same: "Computer
Centre" produces nothing; Computer Centre produces the same as saying
Computer OR Centre.

stevewy

Ah - I think I know what's wrong. The phrase "Computer Centre" appears
in the document properties of all the files. It's locating that, which
is why I get it listing all the files.

So there's nothing wrong with the search function after all.

Thanks for the assist.

Steve

Timothy L

That is because you are using Windows XP's search tool in simple mode. If you were in advanced mode, then it
would look more like the search tool in Windows 2000 and have "Search for file or folders named:" in replace
of "All of part of the file name:" and "Containing text:" in replace of "A word or phrase in the file:".

And yes, I did notice your reply, so I'll just leave it at that.

Also, I noticed that you are using the UK English spelling of "centre" (as opposed to the US English spelling,
"center").

SEARCH TIP FOR ALL USERS:
If you can't find what you are looking for, try a different spelling.
For example:
color instead of colour
labor instead of labour
authorize instead of authorise
center instead of centre

And yes, both spellings are technically correct.

A search for "authorise" would return with 0 results when you have a document with the text "I need to
authorize it first".

lostinspace

microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 8:30 AM
Subject: Searching Word files

I need to search about 100 Word documents for any occurrence of the
phrase "Computer Centre". When I try Windows Search it seems to return
the names of documents containing either "Computer" or "Centre".
Putting single or double quotes around the phrase does not work. The
same happens when I try the internal Word document search function.

How can I search Word documents for a specific phrase? I don't know
why the Windows search function refuses to behave...

Steve Wylie

I do not use Word to search within files.

I do use the XP Explorer lines you described in addition to two other
utilities (Odyssey and Copernic) to search extensive stored data many times
throughout each day.

The internet and Windows has made people very lazy and allowed them to hold
tunnel vision.

Most people searching for data use blank spaces and/or the plus sign. (A bad
practice)

Proper names (such as Computer Centre) should actually be enclosed in quotes
when using the search tool.

so you would enter:

left quote
Computer
space
Centre
right quote

The same use would apply to "John Smith" or "George Bush".
You will intstantly see what effect this has on your returns.

This page offers a simple explantion:
http://www.freefind.com/searchtipspop.html