Search and replace special character.

David Farber

This question pertains to Word 97 and Windows 98.

I'm working on a text file which has the ASCII 27 (Escape) character embedded
in many places. I would like to search and replace that character (which by the
way just appears as a small square) with two characters, a caret and an opening
square bracket, ^[

I can't seem to find a simple way to do this. Since this document is 30 pages
long, it would save me quite a bit of time if this could be done automatically.

Thanks for your reply.

David Farber
L.A., CA

Klaus Linke

Hi David,

I don't have Word97 to test, but try to copy/paste the character into the
dialog (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V), or use ^27 in "Find what".

In "Replace with", use ^^[

(You can also find the caret ^ in the list of "Special" characters.)

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

(Copy/Paste probably won't work... at least, it doesn't work in Word2002)

Klaus

David Farber

Hi Klaus,

Using ^27 in the search field and ^^[ in the replace field worked great. 350
replacements in less than a second. <g>

Thanks for your reply,

David Farber
L.A., CA