Seagate ST3320613AS vs ST3320620NS

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

which one is better?
On the Seagate site, the "20" appears to have slightly better seek times
than the "13".

Both of them using the one-platter for 320G design?

I am using two ST3250620AS in RAID 0 configuration. Wonder
whether they could make the case cooler... :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4

Arno Wagner

Both of them using the one-platter for 320G design?
I am using two ST3250620AS in RAID 0 configuration. Wonder
whether they could make the case cooler... :)

I think the way to make a RAID0 cooler is to move to a single disk ;-)

Arno

Arno Wagner

What about the transfer rate? Single disk faster?

No. But unless you have mostly linear reads, and a well-tuned
system, RAID0 is not that much faster anyways.

Arno

Odiferous

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) said:
which one is better?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 15:02:01 up 42 min 0 users load average: 1.00 1.00 0.91
? ? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/

They are both appalling drives, with shocking failure rates - as are
practically any new drives shipping from Seagate.

Rather choose Samsung or Hitachi - just about anything other than
Seagate.

Duncan

Arno Wagner

Previously Odiferous said:
They are both appalling drives, with shocking failure rates - as are
practically any new drives shipping from Seagate.
Rather choose Samsung or Hitachi - just about anything other than
Seagate.

So it is definitive by now. I have to say I am not surprised at
all.

Arno

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

No. But unless you have mostly linear reads, and a well-tuned
system, RAID0 is not that much faster anyways.

Well-tuned in what sense? There are not much things you
could do with hard disks these days...Are you talking
about expensive real hardware RAID 0 cards?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 10:21:01 up 20:01 1 user load average: 2.69 2.64 3.08
? ? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/

Arno Wagner

Well-tuned in what sense? There are not much things you
could do with hard disks these days...Are you talking
about expensive real hardware RAID 0 cards?

No. But two modern drisks can easily saturate PCI or slower
chipset-internal busses.

Arno

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

No. But two modern drisks can easily saturate PCI or slower
chipset-internal busses.

You meant those RAID chipset offered by Intel and Nvidia
are using PCIe nus?

I am using a nForce 570 Ultra.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 19:13:01 up 1 day 4:54 1 user load average: 3.61 3.46 3.42
? ? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/

Arno Wagner

You meant those RAID chipset offered by Intel and Nvidia
are using PCIe nus?

PCIe would be ok.
I am using a nForce 570 Ultra.

No idea what it does for RAID1. I am just saying that
throughput is overrated in many cases and that RAID0
is only a good choice in specific situations (lots of
large files with an access pattern that reads large chunks).
Also RAID0 doubles the failure probability of the individual
disks.

Arno

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

PCIe would be ok.

I don't know whether those cheap RAID circuit
is using the PCIe bus at maximum speed... :)
No idea what it does for RAID1. I am just saying that
throughput is overrated in many cases and that RAID0
is only a good choice in specific situations (lots of
large files with an access pattern that reads large chunks).

Then I need to setup my stuff using a single disk
to find this out...
Also RAID0 doubles the failure probability of the individual
disks.

Always back up your stuff. Fault-tolerance is a lie. ;)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 19:36:01 up 1 day 5:17 1 user load average: 3.35 3.46 3.44
? ? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/

Arno Wagner

I don't know whether those cheap RAID circuit
is using the PCIe bus at maximum speed... :)
Then I need to setup my stuff using a single disk
to find this out...

Do that.
Always back up your stuff. Fault-tolerance is a lie. ;)

Well, no. But it primarily reduces expected recovery time,
it does not protect gainst total failure.

Arno

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Then I need to setup my stuff using a single disk

later... later... when there is a cheap
15k rpm 500G SATA disks...:)
Well, no. But it primarily reduces expected recovery time,
it does not protect gainst total failure.

At server level, yes. At disk level.. um.... for the poor,
maybe.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 20:05:01 up 1 day 5:46 1 user load average: 3.39 3.40 3.39
? ? (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/

Arno Wagner

later... later... when there is a cheap
15k rpm 500G SATA disks...:)
;-)
At server level, yes. At disk level.. um.... for the poor,
maybe.

I went to RAID1 after I had to restore from backup for the
second time. Of course I did not have any disk failure since
then, so it obviously works! ;-)=)

Arno

Odiferous

Squeeze said:
Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]

You mean, Odoriferous 180 degree turn on Seagate is now completed?

What can you even pretend to know about this subject? From my
standpoint, it is clear you have no idea whatsoever.

Perhaps you should consider the power of thought before posting your
misinformed messages.

Duncan

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

I went to RAID1 after I had to restore from backup for the
second time. Of course I did not have any disk failure since
then, so it obviously works! ;-)=)

Don't forget to back up the stuff periodically.

For, *NOT ONE* hard disk died before I replaced them
(since my first Seagate ST-251). Might be I am too
lucky. :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
^ ^ 14:16:01 up 1 day 23:57 1 user load average: 3.27 3.26 3.29