Scroll Bars on Worksheet

RJQMAN

I tried to post this earlier on other excel usenet group but it did
not seem to appear - forgive if I am posting cross-group, I do not
mean to be doing that.

My question is simple enough. I have a textbox on a page (not on a
userform), and I have a vertical scroll bar so the user can scroll
down and read the text (the text is a wordy legal disclaimer). I
covered the text with a frame, so the user cannot mess with it. It all
seems to work great except for one thing.

Even before I covered about 2/3 of the text box with the frame, I had
this problem. The scroll bars do not visually appear unless you click
in the area of the textbox that is not covered by the frame. The
scroll bars are there and they function fine - but they do not appear
visually when you first open the worksheet. I have no idea why not.

I am concerned that the user will not know that the scroll bars are
there. Also, sometimes the text itself does not appear until you
click somewhere on the sheet (not necessarily in the text box). I do
not know what causes this. Is there some way to make certain the text
appears and that the scroll bar is visible when the sheet is opened?

This is probably too basic a question for this group, but I would
still appreciate a response from someone who knows more than me (which
is probably just about anybody else who has found this amazing user
group).

Thanks in advance.

Jim Cone

I haven't used a textbox on a worksheet enough to be able to contribute much.
But anyway...

There may some setting that contributes to the problem and you may want
to experiments with the autosize and textwrap and other ? settings.
Try using DoEvents in the workbook open event or the worksheet activate event

A kludge and some other ideas....
Change the position of the textbox by a few points and then set it back
to the original position in the worksheet activate or workbook open events.
Use a button on the worksheet to display the text box.
Use a separate sheet without a textbox but with the disclaimer written
directly on the worksheet. Show that sheet when the workbook opens.
(worksheet scroll bars are pretty reliable) <g>
Maybe have a button on that sheet that lets the user hide the sheet.
Use a fixed size textbox without the scroll bars and have the user
use the worksheet scroll bars to view it.
I suspect, unless you can get it to work every time, it will fail
the first a customer looks at it. <g>
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA