screen saver stopped working

Lloyd Erlick

jul804 from Lloyd Erlick,

I've been a lurker on this group for some time. It's
actually been my best source of education about win XP (I
switched over from win 95 a year ago...).

For the most part I've had no problems with XP that I
couldn't solve with the knowledge I've gained here. So
thanks!!

Lately a problem has come up that stumps me. I cannot
connect it to any change I've made.

The screen saver has stopped activating after the length of
time I specify in the Display Properties-screen saver box. I
used to have it set to eleven minutes, but then I noticed it
was not activating, so I set it to one minute. It never
engages.

My machine is a year old, an OEM Sony pcv-rz-31G. It has one
gig of ram, and operates at 2.6 gHz. Not sure what other
details are important (using XP home, sp1). I use the Zone
Alarm free firewall, and regularly run all the recommended
(by this group...) anti-malware software such as Adaware,
SpybotSD, HijackThis, etc. I also use ERDNT as a registry
backup tool. I never install screen savers from email or the
net.

The screen saver in use is the one named 'blank' in the list
of savers built in with XP. I've also left it set to various
other screen savers on the built in list, to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

regards,
--le

________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: (e-mail address removed)
net: www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

zippy

selecting "blank" means no screensaver, so, select another on the list and I
bet it will work...

Eric

I would try using the Repair System files feature in
TweakUI.

TweakUI for XP (Powertoys) - http://tinyurl.com/73pj

With a modern VGA or LCD monitor you don't need to run a
screensaver to save the screen. That was for older
technology.

There is a free utility called Wizmo from http://grc.com/
that can be set to shut the monitor off. You program Wizmo
according to the instructions provided, then place an icon
to it on the Quickstart bar, and just click it. Moving the
mouse starts the monitor.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Ken Blake, MVP

In
zippy said:
selecting "blank" means no screensaver,

No, it doesn't. [None] means no screensaver. Blank is the
screensaver that just blanks the screen.

so, select another on the
list and I bet it will work...

No, he says "I've also left it set to various other screen savers

zippy said:
selecting "blank" means no screensaver,

No, it doesn't. [None] means no screensaver. Blank is the
screensaver that just blanks the screen.

jul804 from Lloyd Erlick,

I believe the 'blank' screen saver available through control
panels-display properties-screen saver is the following
file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrnsave.scr

I've made a shortcut to it and defined a keyboard stroke.
Very convenient to blank the screen at whim. (This is not
recent, by the way. It's been working for many months.)

It definitely is a screen saver, not a 'no screen saver'. It
displays a picture composed entirely of black pixels,
sized/proportioned to cover the whole screen.

This evening I'm going to try out the solutions you folks
have suggested.

Thank you very much.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: (e-mail address removed)
net: www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Lloyd Erlick

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:01:32 -0700, "Eric"

With a modern VGA or LCD monitor you don't need to run a
screensaver to save the screen. That was for older
technology.

jul804 from Lloyd Erlick,

Thank you for telling me this! I'm not at all hip to this
category of hardware, I just use it as a tool. I need to be
told...

Would it be sufficient to just set the system to go to
standby after half an hour, and leave it at that? How much
obsessing is necessary over protecting the screen? (I obsess
enough already in the darkroom...)

Thank you very much.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: (e-mail address removed)
net: www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Plato

Eric said:
With a modern VGA or LCD monitor you don't need to run a
screensaver to save the screen. That was for older
technology.

True. But some folks like the art and/or have screen savers set for
privacy when somebody walks into their office when they are at the
coffee urn or water bucket.

zippy

Duh!! Sorry, I work 3rd shift and with the kids being home from school,
lack of sleep has a way of catching up to you in ways you can't imagine.
Either that it's a senior moment. Either way, I'll be glad to put on the
dunce cap!! Sorry for the wrong info...........Anyone got a cup of coffee,
extra caffiene???

Ken Blake said:

Lloyd Erlick said:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:01:32 -0700, "Eric"

jul804 from Lloyd Erlick,

Thank you for telling me this! I'm not at all hip to this
category of hardware, I just use it as a tool. I need to be
told...

Would it be sufficient to just set the system to go to
standby after half an hour, and leave it at that? How much
obsessing is necessary over protecting the screen? (I obsess
enough already in the darkroom...)

The only real value of a screensaver these days is for privacy.
Particularly in an office setting, if you walk away from your
desk, you may not want passersby to see what you've been doing.

Or some people run screensavers becquse they like the pictures.

You don't really need to do anything to protect the screen.

Ken Blake, MVP

In
zippy said:
Duh!! Sorry, I work 3rd shift and with the kids being home from
school, lack of sleep has a way of catching up to you in ways you
can't imagine. Either that it's a senior moment. Either way, I'll be
glad to put on the dunce cap!! Sorry for the wrong
info...........Anyone got a cup of coffee, extra caffiene???

Not a problem. It happens to all of us from time to time.

Please reply to the newsgroup