Scope of Variable Declared Like This?

G

George

VS.NET 2002/VB

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious about a variable declared as Friend
in a Public module outside the page class, but within the .aspx page file, such as:

Imports System.Whatever

Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module

Public Class aspxPage1
[various code for the page]
[var1 will be updated here, too]
End Class

Is this type of variable declaration every done?
What is the scope of var1 when declared like this?

I know var1 would be accessible to the entire project, but does that mean that any and all visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will be walking on each other's var1
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or will each request for that page generate a
new var1 for each visitor and the scope would be to that visitor/session only?

Thanks,
George

G

Hi George

Not sure if this will help, but my comments

From what I gather below, you're interchanging "scope" and "state", which in a Windows app you can typically do because if I can *see* that variable instantiated in another class somewhere I can go get its value, but *only* because that class instance has remained resident the whole time and so the data's still hanging around. A variable that I declare at the very top (i.e. global) is one I can use and set throughout the app, and it's there as long as the app is there--days, weeks, months, etc

In an ASP.NET app on the other hand, which is stateless, you might give the right scope to your variables so that you can see them across class instances and won't get squiggly lines, but chances are decent that there's nothing there to see unless you've planned otherwise. Remember that each time the page loads, a new instance of that page class is created, even on postback, and everything that was there is long gone (it was already gone at page unload), except for what either you or MS do to restore state from Viewstate, Session, Application, Cache, etc., because for all the app knows you're never coming back

So, yes, as you say below, each visit to the page generates a *new* var1. One time you can run into conflict is if you are trying to coordinate global values across user sessions, such as in Application state, and you've got two people writing to it at the same time (e.g. Application("MyGlobalVar")="xyz"), or even two different threads within the same session. That's why there's Application.Lock, which forces all threads to hold off on accessing the Application object until the locker call Application.Unlock. If you haven't seen it, there's a pretty good discussion of all this under "Application State" in the docs. One line I like: "unlike for an individual Web page, in which all resources are torn down at the conclusion of a Web request". Lends a nice brutality to the whole process

Anyway, I'm no expert, but hopefully this is some additional food for thought
hth

Bil

----- George wrote: ----

VS.NET 2002/V

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious about a variable declared as Frien
in a Public module outside the page class, but within the .aspx page file, such as

Imports System.Whateve

Public Module Module
Friend var1 as Whateve
End Modul

Public Class aspxPage
[various code for the page
[var1 will be updated here, too
End Clas

Is this type of variable declaration every done
What is the scope of var1 when declared like this

I know var1 would be accessible to the entire project, but does that mean that any and all visitor
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will be walking on each other's var
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or will each request for that page generate
new var1 for each visitor and the scope would be to that visitor/session only

Thanks
Georg

G

George

Hey Bill,

Here is what I did for my test, and I am still confused as to what, exactly, is happening.

I declared a number of variables and arrays as Friend in that Public Module at the very top of the
page, above the Public Class module, as such:

Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
Friend var3(5,5) as whatever
Friend var 4(10,10) as whatever
[and so on]
End Module

Then in the following:

Public Class aspxPage
[on button clicks, various processing occurs, calculations are made, and]
[all the variables and arrays above have values assigned to them]
[subsequent button clicks cause more info to be added to the arrays]
End Class

If I am understanding you correctly, everytime this page comes back from the server, all the values
in all those Friend variables and arrays should be wiped out, and they should be recreated from
scratch -- with nothing in them -- right? That is what I assumed would happen, too, when I did the
test.

If I declare them all Private within and at the top of the aspxPage Class, they do get wiped out and
recreated from scratch, but that doesn't happen when they are declared as Friend in the Public
Module.

The values in all those Friend variables and arrays are preserved no matter how many round trips are
made to the server AND I can access those Friend values from an instance of a different page class
opened at the same time in a different window, although both pages are in the same session. I am not
doing anything to facilitate that, either, such as saving/restoring to/from session variables. As I
said, if I am understanding you, that shouldn't be happening.

What I am needing to do is preserve those values for the life of the session, but I do NOT want them
to be accessible by other sessions. I know I can use session variables to do that, but got curious
about this way, and it worked. However, I don't know for sure, but I *suspect* those Friends
declared like that would be virtually the same as an application variable, and that would make them
accessible across multiple sessions, and they may still be left on the server from my test. If so,
that would mean multiple users in multiple sessions would be walking all over each other's values. I
certainly don't want that because those variables and arrays will hold information that is session
and user specific.

I don't have a clear understanding of what's going on here (still learning), and hope someone can
clear it up for me. I have read through the docs and looked on the 'Net, but can't seem to find
anything specific to this. My gut feeling is Public Module and Friend is not the way to go. ;-)

Thanks for your overview.
George

Bill Borg said:
Hi George,

Not sure if this will help, but my comments:

From what I gather below, you're interchanging "scope" and "state", which in a Windows app you can
typically do because if I can *see* that variable instantiated in another class somewhere I can go
get its value, but *only* because that class instance has remained resident the whole time and so
the data's still hanging around. A variable that I declare at the very top (i.e. global) is one I
can use and set throughout the app, and it's there as long as the app is there--days, weeks, months,
etc.
In an ASP.NET app on the other hand, which is stateless, you might give the right scope to your
variables so that you can see them across class instances and won't get squiggly lines, but chances
are decent that there's nothing there to see unless you've planned otherwise. Remember that each
time the page loads, a new instance of that page class is created, even on postback, and everything
that was there is long gone (it was already gone at page unload), except for what either you or MS
do to restore state from Viewstate, Session, Application, Cache, etc., because for all the app knows
you're never coming back.
So, yes, as you say below, each visit to the page generates a *new* var1. One time you can run
into conflict is if you are trying to coordinate global values across user sessions, such as in
Application state, and you've got two people writing to it at the same time (e.g.
Application("MyGlobalVar")="xyz"), or even two different threads within the same session. That's
why there's Application.Lock, which forces all threads to hold off on accessing the Application
object until the locker call Application.Unlock. If you haven't seen it, there's a pretty good
discussion of all this under "Application State" in the docs. One line I like: "unlike for an
individual Web page, in which all resources are torn down at the conclusion of a Web request".
Lends a nice brutality to the whole process.
Anyway, I'm no expert, but hopefully this is some additional food for thought.
hth,

Bill

----- George wrote: -----

VS.NET 2002/VB

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious about a variable declared as Friend
in a Public module outside the page class, but within the .aspx page file, such as:

Imports System.Whatever

Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module

Public Class aspxPage1
End Class

I know var1 would be accessible to the entire project, but does that mean that any and all visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will be walking on each other's var1
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or will each request for that page generate a

Thanks,
George

G

George

I just did some checking, and those Friend variables and arrays are definitely accessible from an
instance of different page class within the same session (new IE window opened from an existing
window) AND accessible from an instance of different page class from a different session (new IE
window opened from new instance of IE). After closing all windows, and then reopening the browser
and reloading the page, the values are still on the server and still accessible.

That would seem to prove they aren't session scoped, so I guess when they are declared like that,
they act the same as application variables and they and their values are stored and maintained on
the server. And ALL multiple sessions are indeed accessing the very same variables, and walking all
over each other's values.

Answers all my questions. Bad deal all around.

George

George said:
Hey Bill,

Here is what I did for my test, and I am still confused as to what, exactly, is happening.

I declared a number of variables and arrays as Friend in that Public Module at the very top of the

Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
[and so on]
End Module

Then in the following:

Public Class aspxPage
End Class

If I am understanding you correctly, everytime this page comes back from the server, all the values
in all those Friend variables and arrays should be wiped out, and they should be recreated from
scratch -- with nothing in them -- right? That is what I assumed would happen, too, when I did the
test.

If I declare them all Private within and at the top of the aspxPage Class, they do get wiped out and
recreated from scratch, but that doesn't happen when they are declared as Friend in the Public
Module.

The values in all those Friend variables and arrays are preserved no matter how many round trips are
made to the server AND I can access those Friend values from an instance of a different page class
opened at the same time in a different window, although both pages are in the same session. I am not
doing anything to facilitate that, either, such as saving/restoring to/from session variables. As I

What I am needing to do is preserve those values for the life of the session, but I do NOT want them
to be accessible by other sessions. I know I can use session variables to do that, but got curious
about this way, and it worked. However, I don't know for sure, but I *suspect* those Friends
declared like that would be virtually the same as an application variable, and that would make them
accessible across multiple sessions, and they may still be left on the server from my test. If so,
that would mean multiple users in multiple sessions would be walking all over each other's values. I
certainly don't want that because those variables and arrays will hold information that is session
and user specific.

I don't have a clear understanding of what's going on here (still learning), and hope someone can
clear it up for me. I have read through the docs and looked on the 'Net, but can't seem to find
anything specific to this. My gut feeling is Public Module and Friend is not the way to go. ;-)

George

Bill Borg said:
Hi George,

From what I gather below, you're interchanging "scope" and "state", which in a Windows app you
can
typically do because if I can *see* that variable instantiated in another class somewhere I can go
get its value, but *only* because that class instance has remained resident the whole time and so
the data's still hanging around. A variable that I declare at the very top (i.e. global) is one I
can use and set throughout the app, and it's there as long as the app is there--days, weeks, months,
etc.

In an ASP.NET app on the other hand, which is stateless, you might give the right scope to your
variables so that you can see them across class instances and won't get squiggly lines, but chances
are decent that there's nothing there to see unless you've planned otherwise. Remember that each
time the page loads, a new instance of that page class is created, even on postback, and everything
that was there is long gone (it was already gone at page unload), except for what either you or MS
do to restore state from Viewstate, Session, Application, Cache, etc., because for all the app knows
So, yes, as you say below, each visit to the page generates a *new* var1. One time you can run
into conflict is if you are trying to coordinate global values across user sessions, such as in
Application state, and you've got two people writing to it at the same time (e.g.
Application("MyGlobalVar")="xyz"), or even two different threads within the same session. That's
why there's Application.Lock, which forces all threads to hold off on accessing the Application
object until the locker call Application.Unlock. If you haven't seen it, there's a pretty good
discussion of all this under "Application State" in the docs. One line I like: "unlike for an
individual Web page, in which all resources are torn down at the conclusion of a Web request".
hth,

Bill

VS.NET 2002/VB

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious about a variable declared
as
Friend

Imports System.Whatever

Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module

Public Class aspxPage1
End Class

that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will be walking on each
other's
var1

Thanks,
George

P

Patrice Scribe

The problem is likely that a module in VB.NET is implemented as a class with
shared members (if Private how can you check their values ?).
Under ASP.NET shared members seems to have an application wide scope
(probably because from an ASP.NET point of view, a web app, is a *single*
executing application).

I would still suggest to resort to Session, Application or Item variables as
appropriate. You could wrap data access around a stateless class....

Patrice

--

George said:
Hey Bill,

Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
[and so on]
End Module

Then in the following:

Public Class aspxPage
End Class

test.

Module.

The values in all those Friend variables and arrays are preserved no
matter how many round trips are
doing anything to facilitate that, either, such as saving/restoring
to/from session variables. As I

What I am needing to do is preserve those values for the life of the
session, but I do NOT want them
and user specific.

I don't have a clear understanding of what's going on here (still
learning), and hope someone can

George

Bill Borg said:
Hi George,

From what I gather below, you're interchanging "scope" and "state",
which in a Windows app you can
etc.
In an ASP.NET app on the other hand, which is stateless, you might give
the right scope to your
So, yes, as you say below, each visit to the page generates a *new*
var1. One time you can run
hth,

Bill

VS.NET 2002/VB

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious
about a variable declared as
Friend

Imports System.Whatever

Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module

Public Class aspxPage1
End Class

I know var1 would be accessible to the entire project, but does
that mean that any and all
visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will
be walking on each other's
var1
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or will each
request for that page
generate a

Thanks,
George

K

Kevin Spencer

Modules should be avoided, unless one specifically wants that type of Shared
(static) functionality, and even if so, one would then properly use a class.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

Patrice Scribe said:
The problem is likely that a module in VB.NET is implemented as a class with
executing application).

I would still suggest to resort to Session, Application or Item variables as

Patrice

--

George said:
Hey Bill,

Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
[and so on]
End Module

Then in the following:

Public Class aspxPage
[on button clicks, various processing occurs, calculations are
made,
and]
End Class

test.

If I declare them all Private within and at the top of the aspxPage
Class,
they do get wiped out and
recreated from scratch, but that doesn't happen when they are declared
as
Friend in the Public
Module.

The values in all those Friend variables and arrays are preserved no
matter how many round trips are
opened at the same time in a different window, although both pages are
in
the same session. I am not
doing anything to facilitate that, either, such as saving/restoring
to/from session variables. As I

What I am needing to do is preserve those values for the life of the
to be accessible by other sessions. I know I can use session variables
to
do that, but got curious
declared like that would be virtually the same as an application
variable,
and that would make them
and user specific.

I don't have a clear understanding of what's going on here (still
learning), and hope someone can

George

which in a Windows app you can
typically do because if I can *see* that variable instantiated in
another
class somewhere I can go
etc.
give
the right scope to your
time the page loads, a new instance of that page class is created, even
on
postback, and everything
you're never coming back. var1. One time you can run
into conflict is if you are trying to coordinate global values across
user
sessions, such as in
object until the locker call Application.Unlock. If you haven't seen
it,
there's a pretty good
discussion of all this under "Application State" in the docs. One line
I
like: "unlike for an
hth,

Bill

VS.NET 2002/VB

I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was curious
Friend

Imports System.Whatever

Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module

Public Class aspxPage1
End Class

visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they will
var1
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or will
each
request for that page
generate a

P

Patrice Scribe

Never saw a definitive word on this.

My understanding of
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/applications.aspx is
that an ASP.NET application is loaded into a single "application domain", ie
all shared variables are really "shared" by all the application instances.

My first reaction is to be still reluctant though at storing things in
shared (static) variables :
- most often, the cache could be still a better choice for application wide
data (easy to reload, may handle priority, remove items under pressure
etc...)

You can still have type safety by having a class with shared properties that
uses the Application, Session, Item or the Cache objects (possibly restored
from a database if needed) as the underlying store... (and you have a unique
class for the current states whatever scope they have) plus you could use
use it to wrap synchonization issues...

Still wondering though as it seems to have very litllte materila about
shared variables vs application state and/or cache ;-)

Patrice

--

Bill Borg said:
George, thanks for raising this one up; it's a good discussion. I learned
something from your look at what's happening in the public module. I
invariably scope to the page level, because it's the norm that I *want*
these things to be unique to the particular request.
To the group: Does a variable I declare at the module level hold its
value across sessions and requests the entire time the application is
running--i.e. in global.asax speak from Application_Start to
Application_End? If so, then why isn't that a better way to handle app
variables, to gain strong typing and (I would guess) better performance than
using Application state?
Likewise, is it also true that I can trust my shared/static members to
maintain their values for the entire run of the application?
----- Kevin Spencer wrote: -----

Modules should be avoided, unless one specifically wants that type of Shared
(static) functionality, and even if so, one would then properly use a class.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up

Patrice Scribe said:
The problem is likely that a module in VB.NET is implemented as a
class
with
executing application).
variables
as
what,
exactly, is happening.
I declared a number of variables and arrays as Friend in that
Public
Module at the very top of the
Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
[and so on]
End Module
Then in the following:
Public Class aspxPage
[on button clicks, various processing occurs, calculations
are
made,
and]
End Class
If I am understanding you correctly, everytime this page comes
back from
the server, all the values
in all those Friend variables and arrays should be wiped out, and
they
should be recreated from
scratch -- with nothing in them -- right? That is what I assumed
would
happen, too, when I did the
test.
If I declare them all Private within and at the top of the
aspxPage
Class,
they do get wiped out and
declared
as
Friend in the Public preserved no
matter how many round trips are instance
of a different page class
are
in
the same session. I am not saving/restoring
to/from session variables. As I the
variables
to
do that, but got curious I
*suspect* those Friends variable,
and that would make them the
server from my test. If so, walking all
over each other's values. I hold
information that is session (still
learning), and hope someone can 'Net,
but can't seem to find Friend is
not the way to go. ;-) "state",
which in a Windows app you can another
class somewhere I can go very
top (i.e. global) is one I app is
there--days, weeks, months,
might
give
the right scope to your won't get
squiggly lines, but chances
even
on
postback, and everything except
for what either you or MS etc.,
because for all the app knows *new*
var1. One time you can run
across
user
sessions, such as in same
time (e.g. within
the same session. That's on
accessing the Application
seen
it,
there's a pretty good
line
I
like: "unlike for an
Anyway, I'm no expert, but hopefully this is some additional
food for
thought.
hth,
Bill
VS.NET 2002/VB
I am trying to understand the scope of variables and was
curious
Friend
in a Public module outside the page class, but within the
..aspx
page file, such as:
Imports System.Whatever
Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module
Public Class aspxPage1
End Class
I know var1 would be accessible to the entire project,
but does
visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And they
will
var1
values? Is that somewhat like an application variable? Or
will
each
request for that page

K

Kevin Spencer

My understanding of

It's called "the heap". The heap is where the class definitions and code are
stored in memory while an assembly is in use. It is like a carbon copy of
the assembly in memory. The Stack is a memory space that sits on top of the
heap, and as classes and methods are instantiated and called, copies of them
are placed on the stack until they are finished executing, at which time
they are removed from the stack. This is how you can have multiple instances
of a single class in memory. Anything which is static is not copied and
placed on the stack, but is used directly from the heap.

The heap is created by the Application as it loads the assemblies it needs.
It is indeed part of the application domain.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up

Patrice Scribe said:
Never saw a definitive word on this.

My understanding of

My first reaction is to be still reluctant though at storing things in
shared (static) variables :
- most often, the cache could be still a better choice for application wide
data (easy to reload, may handle priority, remove items under pressure
etc...)

You can still have type safety by having a class with shared properties that
uses the Application, Session, Item or the Cache objects (possibly restored
from a database if needed) as the underlying store... (and you have a unique
class for the current states whatever scope they have) plus you could use
use it to wrap synchonization issues...

Still wondering though as it seems to have very litllte materila about
shared variables vs application state and/or cache ;-)

Patrice

--

"Bill Borg" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
George, thanks for raising this one up; it's a good discussion. I
learned
something from your look at what's happening in the public module. I
invariably scope to the page level, because it's the norm that I *want*
these things to be unique to the particular request.
To the group: Does a variable I declare at the module level hold its
value across sessions and requests the entire time the application is
running--i.e. in global.asax speak from Application_Start to
Application_End? If so, then why isn't that a better way to handle app
variables, to gain strong typing and (I would guess) better performance than
using Application state?
Likewise, is it also true that I can trust my shared/static members to
maintain their values for the entire run of the application?
----- Kevin Spencer wrote: -----

Modules should be avoided, unless one specifically wants that type
of
Shared
(static) functionality, and even if so, one would then properly use
a
class.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up

Patrice Scribe said:
The problem is likely that a module in VB.NET is implemented as a
class
with
executing application).
I would still suggest to resort to Session, Application or Item
variables
as
Patrice
--
"George" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
Hey Bill,
Here is what I did for my test, and I am still confused as to what,
exactly, is happening.
I declared a number of variables and arrays as Friend in that Public
Module at the very top of the
Public Module Module1
Friend var as whatever
Friend var1 as whatever
[and so on]
End Module
Then in the following:
Public Class aspxPage
[on button clicks, various processing occurs, calculations
are
made,
and]
[subsequent button clicks cause more info to be added to
the
arrays]
End Class
If I am understanding you correctly, everytime this page comes back from
the server, all the values
in all those Friend variables and arrays should be wiped out,
and
they aspxPage declared
pages
of
the variables
but
on
will
the
'Net, in
another
the
the
app is
created,
unload),
a
*new* across
the
off
One
was
curious
Friend
in a Public module outside the page class, but within the .aspx
page file, such as:
Imports System.Whatever
Public Module Module1
Friend var1 as Whatever
End Module
Public Class aspxPage1
End Class
visitors
that request that page will be using the same var1? And
they
will will

Ask a Question