A couple of weeks ago I installed XP. All was fine until this morning and
when I booted it up, it started to run scan disk on the d drive which is
FAT32. It ran through, said there were no errors then shut itself down,
rebooted and started all over again with scan disk. Started it again in safe
mode but instead of it actually starting in safe mode, I get a list of
different files such as
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\systrem32\l_intl.nls
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\systrem32 \fonts\vgaoen.fon
going down the screen, none of which I can highlight or do anything with.

Nothing has been added in the last couple of days, no programs,. AV is up to
date and checked only yesterday. HELP!

G

Put your disk in the drive. Reboot. Then when you see the little warning down the bottom about booting from the disk press the button it says to. Then once it has loaded all the failsafe drivers get into the recovery console and type in chkdsk /r This will do the check disk over again and perhaps clear the flag that is telling your chkdsk that there is an error and to redo the check. Not that there is a space after chkdsk and before the /r . In the recovery console there are many such options as this and typing in help and hitting enter will display many of those options. Any option that you choose may also have sub parameters that need to be put in as with the /r which adds the repair option to the chkdsk. To get those various options you type in chkdsk help and hit enter. If this fails to do the job then you may need to write a new master boot record and that is done by typing in fixmbr . good luck.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

It's not memory. Those files only appear during a safe mode bootup. Try hitting F8 as your computer boots up in order to display the boot menu which gives you different options for booting (normally, safe mode, etc). Try choosing the normal boot.

Ask a Question