SATA Question: Need RAID to benefit?

mahadragon

<From: Arno Wagner <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 13:20:11 GMT
<Good luck. You know these keep dying?>

I have had my 20GB Deskstar since year 2000. I have had my 80GB
Deskstar since 2003. Both drives have worked flawlessly. In fact, I
just purchased a 250GB Hitachi (aka IBM) hard drive yesterday and so
far it works very quiet and fast. It's nice to have all IBM hard drives
as I think they are the best.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. All you guys answers have
been helpful!

StevenQ

Arno Wagner

<From: Arno Wagner <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 13:20:11 GMT
<Good luck. You know these keep dying?>
I have had my 20GB Deskstar since year 2000. I have had my 80GB
Deskstar since 2003. Both drives have worked flawlessly. In fact, I
just purchased a 250GB Hitachi (aka IBM) hard drive yesterday and so
far it works very quiet and fast. It's nice to have all IBM hard drives
as I think they are the best.

Yes, it seem some people got good drives. Others got whole
batches that died consistently. I personally had 3 of 3 die on
me and I witnessed several more dying. From the old storagereview
data, I got the impression that overall the problem was not so bad,
only about twice the failure rate than other drives. However it
seemd to cluster.

Arno

Rod Speed

(e-mail address removed) wrote
I have had my 20GB Deskstar since year 2000. I have had my
80GB Deskstar since 2003. Both drives have worked flawlessly.

Pity about the result so many have got with their deathstars.

They aint called deathstars for nothing. Full class action suit too.

The results in the storagereview reliability survey are right down there at
the bottom with the worst drives ever seen with the 75GXP and 60GXP.
In fact, I just purchased a 250GB Hitachi (aka IBM) hard
drive yesterday and so far it works very quiet and fast. It's
nice to have all IBM hard drives as I think they are the best.

More fool you.

Odie Ferrous

<From: Arno Wagner <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 13:20:11 GMT
<Good luck. You know these keep dying?>

I have had my 20GB Deskstar since year 2000. I have had my 80GB
Deskstar since 2003. Both drives have worked flawlessly.

You have been blessed with an inordinate amount of luck.

My advice to you would be to copy the data off these drives (yesterday)
and ditch them.

In fact, I
just purchased a 250GB Hitachi (aka IBM) hard drive yesterday and so
far it works very quiet and fast. It's nice to have all IBM hard drives
as I think they are the best.

I have a feeling Hitachi have finally cracked the nut. I have had
extremely few current Hitachi drives in for recovery. Even less than
Seagate - however, that might be due to volumes sold - I don't yet have
sufficient data to make an accurate assessment. But don't "aka" them
with IBM - that would be tempting fate.

Odie