Windows XP Safe to Delete Windows Messenger?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I use MSN Messenger 7.5 and there is some kind of conflict in that after I have exited MSN, Windows Messenger seems to be running in the background but without the icon in the system tray - I then get pop-ups as contacts go on/offline.

I then have to open Windows Messenger from Start>Programs and terminate it - I can't find it in Task Manager.

I would like to un-install Windows Messenger completely - is there a problem with doing this - i.e. is it permanently embedded in the Windows XP OS and likely to cause problems?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had something very similar to this - turned out it started up with MS Outlook Express I think. I'm not sure if you can uninstall it easily, but it might be worth checking out the msconfig file and see if it loads there - or perhaps just rename the .exe file and see what happens (can always change it back if it breaks!).

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I think you can uninstall by using the xp disc and removing windows components

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I use MSN Messenger 7.5 and there is some kind of conflict in that after I have exited MSN, Windows Messenger seems to be running in the background but without the icon in the system tray - I then get pop-ups as contacts go on/offline.

I then have to open Windows Messenger from Start>Programs and terminate it - I can't find it in Task Manager.

I would like to un-install Windows Messenger completely - is there a problem with doing this - i.e. is it permanently embedded in the Windows XP OS and likely to cause problems?
Format ... install Linux

Well that's the only way you'll get WM un-installed.
laughingsmiley.gif

My trick is to find msmsgs.exe and rename it ... end of story, however ...

http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml
http://www.pchell.com/support/ipmessaging.shtml

... will give you some options. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks chaps :) - used the method in your first link Mucks and disabled it from working - nice and simple, works like a dream :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Thanks chaps :) - used the method in your first link Mucks and disabled it from working - nice and simple, works like a dream :thumb:
Good ... but what happens when you open OE or Outlook ... does that stupid icon still appear in the taskbar?

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It wasn't with Outlook/OE it was with MSN Messenger - and the annoying thing was there was no icon - it just seemed to be running in the background after logging out of MSN :confused:

Still - appears to have sorted it now - thanks again Mucks :thumb:

Ask a Question