Running .NET 3.0+ applications on .NET 2.0 Machines

  • Start date Start date

I have just finished reading a 2 year old post with 42 replies on running
..NET 2.0 on .NET 1.1 machines. The question was never answered. There was
too much discussion on: "why your customers don't upgrade". I had the same
problem. I could not deploy my .NET 2.0 application until my organization
upgraded to .NET 2.0. That took nine months.

Now I wish to upgrade my development machine to .NET 3.0 (or higher) but 90%
of my customers will not allow .NET 3.0 to be installed at this time and for
the forseeable future.

The question is simple, is there any way to target a .NET 2.0 environment
with an application created in a .NET 3.0 environment? (This is of course is
presuming you are not going to use .NET 3.0 exclusive features on your .NET
2.0 clients)

Hello, JJT!

IIRC .NET 3.0 is just a .NET 2.0 + extensions ( WCF, WPF, WF, etc)

So, if your application is not using any of those extensions from 3.0, then
you have nothing to worry about.
--
With best regards, Vadym Stetsiak.
Blog: http://vadmyst.blogspot.com

You wrote on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 05:04:02 -0700:

J> I have just finished reading a 2 year old post with 42 replies on
J> running .NET 2.0 on .NET 1.1 machines. The question was never
J> answered. There was too much discussion on: "why your customers
J> don't upgrade". I had the same problem. I could not deploy my
J> .NET 2.0 application until my organization upgraded to .NET 2.0.
J> That took nine months.

J> Now I wish to upgrade my development machine to .NET 3.0 (or higher)
J> but 90%
J> of my customers will not allow .NET 3.0 to be installed at this time
J> and for the forseeable future.

J> The question is simple, is there any way to target a .NET 2.0
J> environment with an application created in a .NET 3.0 environment?
J> (This is of course is presuming you are not going to use .NET 3.0
J> exclusive features on your .NET
J> 2.0 clients)
J> --
J> JT