    MO 65810
    Phone 417 829 2411
    Fax 417 829 2427

    John Gittins, Jul 16, 2003

  2. John Gittins

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    Here is some information previously posted by others in response to similar
    questions.

    The best way to do it is to use the MSComm control that comes with Visual
    Basic. If you want to see how this works, load and single step through the
    VBTerm sample that comes with it (should be in the \samples subdirectory; if
    not, I think you can download it from Microsoft's Visual Basic site).

    One important note, though, is that you must know the syntax of the commands
    to your meter (or other device), as sent via RS-232. Once you know those
    you can simply modify the VBTerm code to suit your own purposes. It's
    complex at first, but stick with it!

    "Poor Man's Serial Instant Messenger"
    http://www.htservices.com/Tools/VisualBasic/SerialCommunications.htm
    Visual Basic Serial Communications Example Tutorials Source Code Programs

    http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/Languages/SerialIO.htm
    Serial I/O (RS232)

    http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/list.php?category=SOURCE

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    Tom Ogilvy, Jul 16, 2003

  3. John Gittins

    Thomas Lutz Guest

    If you are looking for a good tool to do serial communications
    directly from within Excel, I would recommend that you look at a
    product called WinWedge at the following URL:
    http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/products/winwedge.html

    WinWedge is designed to make it easy to both send and receive serial
    data direclty from within any other Windows program including Excel
    and it requires little or no programming at all.

    Thomas Lutz, Jul 17, 2003
  4. John Gittins

    bliebb3

    Joined: