root password query

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to run a command in a terminal but am told I need to be root to run the script.
I type "su" then it asks for a password , so IU type in "sparrow" then it tells me Authentication failure .
I reset the password from "Recovery Mode" but still get the same result .

Any ideas what I am doing wrong .

user.gif

Attachments

• Screenshot-jack@jack-sparrow: ~.png
    Screenshot-jack@jack-sparrow: ~.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 109

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Hello, Abarbarian!

You're using Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu doesn't "use" root password by default. So, instead of "su -> rootpasswd -> command", you do "sudo command".

You can (and methinks should... makes life easier and can save your bacon) enable root password in Ubuntu. In Terminal, do:

sudo passwd root

First, enter your user password. Next, enter (and re-enter) ROOT PASSWORD. That's it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hello Urmas . Thanks for the reply .

The instructions you gave are the same as the ones I followed when I reset in the Recovery Mode. One big difference was your explanation ,

Ubuntu doesn't "use" root password by default. So, instead of "su -> rootpasswd -> command", you do "sudo command".

So when I'm following instructions in othere guides and they say type "su" I type "sudo" . Ah ha all is as clear as mud . Re-set me password just to be sure .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question