RIP

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
hopkinsonhartlebankshenninghigginsedwardsbirchstevenslofthouseparryholdenbw2mu0lofthouse2061958
You work it out
Cheers
peahouse05:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've lost me there peahouse? :confused:

edit: the Munich Air Disaster?

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello Ian
No, but close.
This is the Bolton Wanderers FA Cup winning side of 1958. Their star player was Nat Lofthouse who died last week. The connection is my family lived in Bolton for two years from 1955 to 1957 and moved to Swansea in 1958. The only TV and car in the street belonged to the grocer where approx 20 of us kids watched the final. Even then all but me wanted MU to win (Munich disaster sympathy). Nat Lofthouse scored the first from a left-wing corner cross and then barged the MU goalkeeper over the line for the second (Harry Faulkes I think). These days Nat would have been convicted of GBH as Harry's head hit the post.
Just watched Wanderers lose 4-0 at home to Chelsea at the Reabock - not quite the same as Burnden Park where I saw them play.
Strange coincidence - we had been living in Bude, Cornwall for a couple of years when in 1998 a family called Lofthouse moved in next door - just happened that the father of the family was Nat's nephew and was still in touch with him.
We lived at 24 Roseneath Road, Greater Leaver, Bolton.
Cheers
peahouse05

Ask a Question