[RFC] Startup Control Panel 2.8

me

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

Startup Control Panel is compatible with ... Windows 95, 98,
98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
[ /quot ]

Comment on a.c.a-v: "safer than msconfig."
Anyone tried it?

TIA

ceg

i've tried it...quick, easy to work with...better than some startup config
programs...a bit of room for improvement

Even Afwezig

Op Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:11:18 GMT, (e-mail address removed) schreef:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

Startup Control Panel is compatible with ... Windows 95, 98,
98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
[ /quot ]

Comment on a.c.a-v: "safer than msconfig."
Anyone tried it?

Yep, nice program made by Mike Lin.
Works fine.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 04 Feb 2006, wrote
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

Startup Control Panel is compatible with ... Windows 95, 98,
98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
[ /quot ]

Comment on a.c.a-v: "safer than msconfig."
Anyone tried it?

I've used it for a number of years. Good program.

FWIW, Mike Lin's "StartUp Monitor" is also excellent -- it runs
quietly in the background, and flags up whenever a program tries to
insert itself into the start-up sequence.

(Very useful when installing programs which would otherwise
silently place themselves into memory at start-up.)

Susan Bugher

ceg said:
i've tried it...quick, easy to work with...better than some startup config
programs...a bit of room for improvement

Yup. :) It's Pricelessware - has been for years.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/CumulativePL.php

Startup Control Panel
PL2006 PL2005 PL2004 PL2003 PL2002 PL2001

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

BoB

On 04 Feb 2006, wrote
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

Startup Control Panel is compatible with ... Windows 95, 98,
98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
[ /quot ]

Comment on a.c.a-v: "safer than msconfig."
Anyone tried it?

It's fine, but WinPatrol does the same and more.

WinPatrol 9.8.0.0

QUOTE
WinPatrol 9.8 is smaller and faster. We've optimize our code and cleaned
up portions which have been around since WinPatrol was first released in
1997.

We've also closed another common backdoor for Spyware by montioring the
registry key commonly known as AppInit_DLLs (O20).

WinPatrol PLUS now monitors a number of non-tradition Startup locations
found in the registry including:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad
(O21)
Used by CDBurn, PostBootReminder, SysTray, WebCheck
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler
(O22)
Examples:Browser preloader:UI Library, Component Categories cache daemon
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks
Examples:Browser preloader:Shell, Microsoft AntiSpyware Service Hook

In the past we've spent more time on serious security issues and have
neglected WinPatrol's cookie management. We've cleaned up our act and
this version will help you manage your cookies with much better
efficiency. For those who don't really care about cookies our changes
will make sure cookie monitoring features don't slow you down
ENDQUOTE

http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

BoB

Nunya Bizniss

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.
Anyone tried it?

It's a useful tool, as far as it goes.
Personally, I use RegistryProt 2.0
(http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot)
This tiny little bugger sits in the background and triggers an alert every
time a piece of software tries to write an autostart entry buried in your
registry (without your permission). With one click, you can tell the
intruder to f**k off. The old fashioned startup group entries can, of
course, be easily seen and deleted.
I find it invaluable, and have been using it for years, highly recommended.

me

t... http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.
Anyone tried it?

It's a useful tool, as far as it goes.
Personally, I use RegistryProt 2.0
(http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot)
This tiny little bugger sits in the background and triggers
an alert every time a piece of software tries to write an
autostart entry buried in your registry (without your
permission). With one click, you can tell the intruder to
f**k off. The old fashioned startup group entries can, of
course, be easily seen and deleted.
I find it invaluable, and have been using it for years,
highly recommended.

Nice (19 KB exe). I shall try it. Thanks for the info

Doc

On 04 Feb 2006, wrote
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

It's fine, but WinPatrol does the same and more.

WinPatrol 9.8.0.0

WinPatrol is 'childish' in comparison. And way too slow.

WinPatrol PLUS now monitors ....

WinPatrol PLUS is freeware ?

BoB

On 04 Feb 2006, wrote

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
[ quot ]
Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your
computer starts. It's ... very small and won't burden your
system.

It's fine, but WinPatrol does the same and more.

WinPatrol 9.8.0.0

WinPatrol is 'childish' in comparison. And way too slow.

WinPatrol PLUS now monitors ....

<OT payware promo snipped>

Not meant as a promo, just info.
I don't use the Plus version myself.
WinPatrol PLUS is freeware ?

Sorry, got my reference wrong. I was referring further back in
the thread to:

FWIW, Mike Lin's "StartUp Monitor" is also excellent -- it runs
quietly in the background, and flags up whenever a program tries to
insert itself into the start-up sequence.

(Very useful when installing programs which would otherwise
silently place themselves into memory at start-up.)

STP and WP are completely different.

BoB

prospero33

Yes, I vote for WinPatrol any day. It's part of my security system as
well as an easy way of monitoring the startup and active programs.