Return value in an table with variable columns and rows

P

paul.hobaica

I have an table of data where the column headers are 'states' and the rows are 'agents'. The values of the table are the count of 'sales'.

I want to come up with a formula (if possible) that will find a value for the specific column and row on the table based on the header. The problem is that the worksheet column and row may change with the table that I have to get this data from so I cannot simply look at row 12 and column N every time.

The headers are unique if that helps. Let me know if the explanation isn'tclear.

C

Claus Busch

Hi Paul,

Am Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:02:43 -0800 (PST) schrieb (e-mail address removed):
I have an table of data where the column headers are 'states' and the rows are 'agents'. The values of the table are the count of 'sales'.

I want to come up with a formula (if possible) that will find a value for the specific column and row on the table based on the header. The problem is that the worksheet column and row may change with the table that I have to get this data from so I cannot simply look at row 12 and column N every time.

your table is in A1:J100 (modify to suit):
INDEX(A1:J100,MATCH("YourAgent",A1:A100,0),MATCH("YourState",A1:J1,0))

Regards
Claus Busch

Ask a Question