Retrieving derived class name inside base class

Goran Djuranovic

Hi all,
Is there a way to retrieve a derived class name inside a subroutine or a
function of the base class? I am trying to get some data from the database,
based on which derived class is calling the subroutine. I know the base
class name can be retrieved by using reflection namespace:
System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod.DeclaringType.Name.

Thanks
Goran

Goran Djuranovic

Eliyahu, thanks, but I would not like to have to type anything on the derived classes (not even override methods), if possible.

Maybe I should explain the problem in detail. What I am trying to do is re-use a menu control and its methods on 10 different web pages with as less coding as possible. So, here is how I planned to do it:
- have every .aspx page contain a menu control (nothing declared in the code-behind, because it would conflict with the base class)
- have a base class contain all the methods for menu control (plus base class inherits from System.Web.UI.Page)
- have every page inherit from a base class
- every page has a subset of menu items, which is filterred based on what the page (class name) is, and this is where the problem is, because I cannot retrieve the name of the derived class from within the base class.

Wish I could use multiple inheritance (without having to use the interfaces).

Thanks
Goran

Eliyahu Goldin said:
It would be very much against the whole idea of inheritance. Instead you
should make a virtual GetData method in the base class and override it in
the derived classes.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Goran Djuranovic said:
Hi all,
Is there a way to retrieve a derived class name inside a subroutine or a
function of the base class? I am trying to get some data from the
database, based on which derived class is calling the subroutine. I know
the base class name can be retrieved by using reflection namespace:
System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod.DeclaringType.Name.

Thanks
Goran

Eliyahu Goldin

You can always call GetType() method, can't you?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Goran Djuranovic said:
Hi all,
Is there a way to retrieve a derived class name inside a subroutine or a
function of the base class? I am trying to get some data from the
database, based on which derived class is calling the subroutine. I know
the base class name can be retrieved by using reflection namespace:
System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod.DeclaringType.Name.

Thanks
Goran

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Eliyahu's input.

Hi Goran,

As Eliyahu has suggested, to getting the base type from OO and inheritance
perspective is not quite realistic and recommended. However, based on my
understanding on your scenario, what you want to do is actually get some
information in the base class so as to determine which concrete child page
is the current running one, correct?

I've performed some research and the following ways should be some possible
means:

** Since the base class is Page(which also derived from Control class), you
can use the "this.Page" property to get the current running page class and
reflect its type.

** Or I think it is better to use some control or markup on the page to
detect the current page since you can use "this.Page.Controls" to get the
running page's Control collection. For example, this.Page.Title can give
you the page title.

Here is a test base page class I used for test and it works well:
public class BasePageClass : Page
{

public string PageTypeName
{
get
{
return this.Page.GetType().FullName;
}
}

public string PageTitle
{
get
{
return this.Page.Title;
}
}
}
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

From: "Eliyahu Goldin" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Retrieving derived class name inside base class
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:36:35 +0200

Goran Djuranovic said:
Hi all,
Is there a way to retrieve a derived class name inside a subroutine or a
function of the base class? I am trying to get some data from the
database, based on which derived class is calling the subroutine. I know
the base class name can be retrieved by using reflection namespace:
System.Reflection.MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod.DeclaringType.Name.

Thanks
Goran

Goran Djuranovic

Hi Steven,
Your code returns the name of the .aspx page which is OK, but I need the
name of the .vb class behind it. So, for example, the ASPX page name in this
case is "Login.aspx" and the code-behind class name is "Login". What I need
returned is "Login", and not "Login.aspx".

Also, "Login" class inherits from the base class.

Thanks for your help guys.
Goran

rights.

--------------------
From: "Eliyahu Goldin" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:36:35 +0200

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

Thanks for your reply Goran,

Yes, my code example only return the page's title, however, it acually
demonstrate that you can get the underlying running page's class through

this.Page.GetType()

You can print out this value. This class should be a dynamic generated
type(by ASP.NET runtime). You can use its "BaseType" to get the further
parent type. Thus, you can get all the classes in the page's inheritance
chain. How do you think?

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:58:14 -0400
Hi Steven,

Steven Cheng said:
[...]

sample base page >>>>>>

From: "Eliyahu Goldin" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:36:35 +0200
[...]

message It would be very much against the whole idea of inheritance. Instead you
[...]

Any further question or concern on this? If so, welcome to continue discuss
here.

From: "Eliyahu Goldin" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:36:35 +0200

[...]

For some reason Me.Page.GetType() returns "ASP.Login_aspx", but using
BaseType as Me.GetType.BaseType.FullName returns what I want. Again, thanks
for your help and consider this thread closed.

Goran

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:58:14 -0400
Hi Steven,

Steven Cheng said:
[...]

professional working with you may need further investigation to reach
the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for
situations
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are
best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
contacting

rights.

From: "Eliyahu Goldin" <[email protected]>