Restoring ASPNET Machine Account in Windows XP

Reaction score
I thought this might be useful. So I recently had an issue where my system got somewhat royally messed up and a main part of that was the .NET Framework. Well, even after reinstalling and following several "fixes" online, it wouldn't reset the ASPNET Machine Account. I've also seen many other posts where people couldn't restore the ASPNET Machine Account. So after further investigation, here's what I did:

To restore the ASPNET Machine Account in Windows XP:

Part 1:

Start > Run > %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe /i

Note: change the version number accordingly

Part 2:

Start > Run > regedit > OK

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > ASP.NET > MachineAccounts

Set ASPNET to (0)

If you do not see MachineAccounts, Right-click on ASP.NET and select New > Key

Set the new key to MachineAccounts

Within the MachineAccounts key right-click > New > DWORD Value > ASPNET and set it to (0).

Part 3:

Start > Run > control userpasswords2 > OK

Select the Advanced tab > click Advanced button

Go into the Users folder

Double-click ASPNET account and UNcheck "Account is disabled"

Go to Member Of tab and click Add

Type in Users then click OK and OK again to save and close the ASPNET account.

Part 4:

Restart computer

You now have the ASPNET Machine Account actively back on your system.

This is something I had to find out myself by viewing information on another system along with some very small and hard to find bits and pieces of information gathered from the internet. I hope this helps whoever has trouble with restoring the ASPNET Machine Account!

Please repost this at will so that it can be shared everywhere as needed, but remember to give credit where credit is due! Thank you!

Norak Drogan

Ask a Question