Reproduceable Office 2007 Style Bug - Automatic Highlighting


S

Spitfire

This bug is reproduce in Microsoft Office Word 2007 SP2 (part of Office 2007
Enterprise Retail) across different machines.

Styles created based upon another style automatically has a yellow highlight.

1. Create new Word document in Word.
2. Type "A b c".
3. Select Shading to be 5% grey. Now there's a grey shade behind the text.
4. Right-click on the text and select "Save Selection as a New Quick Style".
Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style1" quick style.
5. Save doc and reopen.
6. Highlight the letter "b" and select green from the text color. Next
select bold and italics. Now the "b" is green, bold, and italics.
7. Right-click on the still highlighted "b" and select "Save Selection as a
New Quick Style". Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style2"
quick style.
5. Save doc and reopen.
6. You now see "b" aumatically highlighted in yellow eventhough the preview
for "Style2" doesn't show the yellow highlight.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Stefan Blom

This is not a bug. When you create a second paragraph style like this it
will be based on the first style (look in the Modify Style dialog box for
the second style), which means that it inherits settings from the first
style.
 
S

Spitfire

True. However, the first style is 5% grey. Not bright yellow. The bright
yellow highlight came from nowhere.
 
S

Stefan Blom

Sorry, I apparently misunderstood your first message. After having read it
more carefully, I cannot reproduce what you are describing.
 
S

Spitfire

Just tried it on a brand new XP installation with Word 2007. I can reproduce
the problem. If you don't mind, provide me an email and I will send you the
Word Docs saved at each stage. It'll show the progress and the bug.

Regards,
Spitfie
 
S

Stefan Blom

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at the files. You can send
them to (e-mail address removed).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



Spitfire said:
Just tried it on a brand new XP installation with Word 2007. I can
reproduce
the problem. If you don't mind, provide me an email and I will send you
the
Word Docs saved at each stage. It'll show the progress and the bug.

Regards,
Spitfie
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Stefan Blom

Received files. I'll take a look at them tomorrow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



Spitfire said:
Sent the files to your email. Hopefully you'll get it.
 
S

Stefan Blom

These are the OP's steps to reproduce with my comments within brackets:

************************************
1. Create new document.

2. Type "A b c". [You can type any letters or words that you like.]

3. Select Shading to be 5% grey. [I chose "Whiter, Background 1, Darker 5%"
on the Shading tab of the Borders and Shading dialog box.] Now there's a
grey shade behind the text.

4. Right-click on the text and select "Save Selection as a New Quick Style".
Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style1" quick style. [You can
equally well specify your own style name.]

5. Save doc and reopen.

6. Highlight the letter "b" and select green from the text color. Next
select bold and italics. Now the "b" is green, bold, and italics.

7. Right-click on the still highlighted "b" and select "Save Selection as a
New Quick Style". Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style2" quick
style. [You can specify your own style name.]

8. Save doc and reopen.

9. You now see "b" aumatically highlighted in yellow eventhough the preview
for "Style2" doesn't show the yellow highlight. [Highlight = shading]
************************************

I could reproduce this behavior once I turned off the "Disable Linked
Styles" option in the Styles pane. With the option turned off, the steps
listed above creates a linked style (Style2) with a yellow shading (although
the initial shading was grey, inherited from Style1).

It does seem like a bug to me.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP





Suzanne S. Barnhill said:
I'll also be interested to know what you find out.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org
 
S

Stefan Blom

Note that, in step 3, you must choose *paragraph* shading.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



Stefan Blom said:
These are the OP's steps to reproduce with my comments within brackets:

************************************
1. Create new document.

2. Type "A b c". [You can type any letters or words that you like.]

3. Select Shading to be 5% grey. [I chose "Whiter, Background 1, Darker
5%"
on the Shading tab of the Borders and Shading dialog box.] Now there's a
grey shade behind the text.

4. Right-click on the text and select "Save Selection as a New Quick
Style".
Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style1" quick style. [You can
equally well specify your own style name.]

5. Save doc and reopen.

6. Highlight the letter "b" and select green from the text color. Next
select bold and italics. Now the "b" is green, bold, and italics.

7. Right-click on the still highlighted "b" and select "Save Selection as
a
New Quick Style". Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style2"
quick
style. [You can specify your own style name.]

8. Save doc and reopen.

9. You now see "b" aumatically highlighted in yellow eventhough the
preview
for "Style2" doesn't show the yellow highlight. [Highlight = shading]
************************************

I could reproduce this behavior once I turned off the "Disable Linked
Styles" option in the Styles pane. With the option turned off, the steps
listed above creates a linked style (Style2) with a yellow shading
(although
the initial shading was grey, inherited from Style1).

It does seem like a bug to me.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP





Suzanne S. Barnhill said:
I'll also be interested to know what you find out.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

Lene Fredborg

I can confirm that I can also reproduce the bug described by the OP.

During my tests, I found another bug related to shading and linked styles in
Word 2007:

To reproduce:

1. Create a new document (or use any document).

2. Turn off "Disable Linked Styles" in the Styles pane.

3. Type "This is a test paragraph" (for example).

4. Select _part of_ the text, e.g. “testâ€.

5. In the Borders and Shading dialog box > Shading tab, select any color
that is easy to distinguish from white. Make sure “Text†is selected in
“Apply toâ€.

6. While the word “test†(or whatever you selected in the document) is still
selected, right-click on the text and select "Save Selection as a New Quick
Style". Specify a style name or accept the default.

As soon as I save the style, the shading color disappears from the selection
but the Ribbon and the Style field (I have it in the QAT) shows that the
style in use is the newly created linked style. Also, in the Ribbon, the
style appears with the selected shading. This behavior seems to apply if I
select any part of a paragraph excl. the paragraph mark and excl. at least
one character and then create a new linked style. If I try to apply the
linked style to part of a paragraph, no shading appears (but the style name
is changed, indicating that the style is applied). On the other hand, I can
apply the style correctly to a whole paragraph. Nothing changes after saving
and reopening the document.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word


Stefan Blom said:
Note that, in step 3, you must choose *paragraph* shading.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



Stefan Blom said:
These are the OP's steps to reproduce with my comments within brackets:

************************************
1. Create new document.

2. Type "A b c". [You can type any letters or words that you like.]

3. Select Shading to be 5% grey. [I chose "Whiter, Background 1, Darker
5%"
on the Shading tab of the Borders and Shading dialog box.] Now there's a
grey shade behind the text.

4. Right-click on the text and select "Save Selection as a New Quick
Style".
Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style1" quick style. [You can
equally well specify your own style name.]

5. Save doc and reopen.

6. Highlight the letter "b" and select green from the text color. Next
select bold and italics. Now the "b" is green, bold, and italics.

7. Right-click on the still highlighted "b" and select "Save Selection as
a
New Quick Style". Accept the default name. You now have a new "Style2"
quick
style. [You can specify your own style name.]

8. Save doc and reopen.

9. You now see "b" aumatically highlighted in yellow eventhough the
preview
for "Style2" doesn't show the yellow highlight. [Highlight = shading]
************************************

I could reproduce this behavior once I turned off the "Disable Linked
Styles" option in the Styles pane. With the option turned off, the steps
listed above creates a linked style (Style2) with a yellow shading
(although
the initial shading was grey, inherited from Style1).

It does seem like a bug to me.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP





Suzanne S. Barnhill said:
I'll also be interested to know what you find out.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Received files. I'll take a look at them tomorrow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



Sent the files to your email. Hopefully you'll get it.

:

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at the files. You can
send
them to (e-mail address removed).
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top