repost: wireless notebook card resource conflict

I am trying to set up a wireless home network using D-Link router (di-624)
and (DWL-G650) network card for my laptop Compac Armada M-700 in XP Pro SP2.

When I try to install the network card in the laptop it freezes the mouse
and blocks access to windows task manager. I have had to go as far as
unplugging the power cord and removing the battery to get the laptop to shut
off or reset Ctl-Alt -del did nothing

D-link says it is a resource conflict and sent me here

HELP

Thanks

Mike

pquodling

Mike said:
I am trying to set up a wireless home network using D-Link router (di-624)
and (DWL-G650) network card for my laptop Compac Armada M-700 in XP Pro SP2.

When I try to install the network card in the laptop it freezes the mouse
and blocks access to windows task manager. I have had to go as far as
unplugging the power cord and removing the battery to get the laptop to shut
off or reset Ctl-Alt -del did nothing

D-link says it is a resource conflict and sent me here

I am having similar problems. I am running an M700 with Win XP PRo Sp2,
(ALso have Symantec SystemWorks Premier, and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
running. )

When I try to install the Dlink drivers, it gets to the third screen,
and disappears, no files installed, no error, just disappears. Dlink
tech support said, try disabling the Xp Windows Zero COnfiguration in
"Computer Management". which stops XP trying to use it's own drivers.
No difference.

I have a snealing suspicion that that XP SP2's new "wireless network
setup wizard" in the control panels, may have some impact, but I am
very suprised that Dlink tech support have not encountered this.

Peter Q

Im sorry but the problem is not of the PC Card D-link. I have un Evo N1020v
with Windows XP SP2 end sample installing the PC Card DWL-G650+ and the
Notebook is hung when this loading the drivers, suspecting of the card
installs a PC Card 3Com OfficeConnect 11g and I had the same problem. sample
installing the card in a windows 2000 and there are not problems therefore
the problem it should be some crash of IRQ of the Windows XP which should be
informed by Microsoft, but I have not found any type of information
alrespecto. as test of what I tell the team previously Evo N1020v previously
installed taenia Windows 2000 and it worked without problems with the same
card D-Link DWL-G650+.

Yves Leclerc

I tried to install a D-Link DWL-G132 USB adapter and my desktop PC was
crashing on start-up. There was a defective driver (??) and if my PC was
restarted without the adapter connected, my system worked. I removed the
adapter drivers and returned the adapter. I no longer "believe" in the
quality of the D-Link products and would not be considering them in the
future.

Sharon F

tried to install a D-Link DWL-G132 USB adapter and my desktop PC was
crashing on start-up. There was a defective driver (??) and if my PC was
restarted without the adapter connected, my system worked. I removed the
adapter drivers and returned the adapter. I no longer "believe" in the
quality of the D-Link products and would not be considering them in the
future.

That kind of experience does leave a bad taste in one's mouth. I think
every hardware company runs into a bad model or driver issue on occasion.
Or the hardware and driver are fine but just don't mix well with everything
else that is installed. Usually I shop features first and then brand. If a
device doesn't work out after a few tries and one or two calls to customer
service, then I don't hesitate to return it and try something else.

Have never been able to install AVG antivirus on any of my systems without
a failure to boot on the first restart. Yet lots of folks use it with no
problem. Go figure...

Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Evo N1020v and Wireless Cards

*** Success!!! Please read below ***

Got the exact same problem. My Compaq Evo N1020v had dual-boot with Windows ME and Windows XP. Both worked ok with a D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless PC-Card. The problem started when I decided to reinstall the computer only with Windows XP. I was able to install the D-Link software, but when I insert the PC-Card the computer freezes.

Wrote to D-Link, got a detailed e-mail with instructions how to disable some Windows components. I followed their suggestions but it didn't help, the computer was still freezing.

Was it D-Link's fault? Wrong! As a last resort I got a new Edimax EW-7108PCg Wireless PC-Card. Software installation went just fine but when I inserted the PC-Card guess what happened? You are correct, the computer froze. (Update -- Tried to install a 3Com 3CRXJK10075 card, still freezes)

So is it HP-Compaq's fault? Wrong again. I installed both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 and install both the D-Link and the Edimax cards and they both worked fine with no installation problems. I also tried to upgrade the Win2000 installation to WinXP but somewhere during the installation the computer started to freeze and wouldn't continue until I removed the card.

We are left with only one suspect -- Microsoft. If anyone has a clue, suggestion or even a solution I would highly appriciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

*** Success ***
I got the idea that the problem is with the Evo's PC-Card controller, and indeed HP got some questions about it: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=613122
To keep a long story short, go to HP's web site, find the drivers for Evo N1020v. Look under Operating System -- Enhancementes and QFEs, and download 3 files: ATI U1/RS200M AGP Bus Driver, LidSwitch Policy and System Enhancements Disk. Install the files you downloaded, install the PC-Card drivers and if you're lucky as I was, it will work.

"(e-mail address removed)" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > I am trying to set up a wireless home network using D-Link router

> (di-624)
> > and (DWL-G650) network card for my laptop Compac Armada M-700 in XP

> Pro SP2.
> >
> > When I try to install the network card in the laptop it freezes the

> mouse
> > and blocks access to windows task manager. I have had to go as far as

> > unplugging the power cord and removing the battery to get the laptop

> to shut
> > off or reset Ctl-Alt -del did nothing
> >
> > D-link says it is a resource conflict and sent me here

> I am having similar problems. I am running an M700 with Win XP PRo Sp2,
> (ALso have Symantec SystemWorks Premier, and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
> running. )
>
> When I try to install the Dlink drivers, it gets to the third screen,
> and disappears, no files installed, no error, just disappears. Dlink
> tech support said, try disabling the Xp Windows Zero COnfiguration in
> "Computer Management". which stops XP trying to use it's own drivers.
> No difference.
>
> I have a snealing suspicion that that XP SP2's new "wireless network
> setup wizard" in the control panels, may have some impact, but I am
> very suprised that Dlink tech support have not encountered this.
>
> Peter Q

Last edited:

Sharon F

We are left with only one suspect -- Microsoft. If anyone has a clue,
suggestion or even a solution I would highly appriciate it.

Suspect 2: The drivers provided by the manufacturer for use with XP are
faulty.

hball

Hi. I have the same problem. I have a Compaq Evo N1020V and I just
got the Edimax EW-7108PCg card from Dabs.

If I put the card in without the drivers loaded the PC is fine.

If I go on and install the drivers (either the CD version or the latest
versions off the edimax/ralink websites) my PC freezes and I have to
power down to get it going again without the card in the PCMCIA slot.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Otherwise the only thing I
can see is to get a new card with Intel chips inside it.

Any ideas?

Howard

Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Solution

Hi Howard,

To solve your problem go to HP's web site, find the drivers for Evo N1020v. Look under Operating System -- Enhancementes and QFEs, and download 3 files: ATI U1/RS200M AGP Bus Driver, LidSwitch Policy and System Enhancements Disk. Install the files you downloaded, install the PC-Card drivers and if you're lucky as I was, it will work.

Regards,

Ben

Qussy

Mike said:
*I am trying to set up a wireless home network using D-Link route
(di-624)
and (DWL-G650) network card for my laptop Compac Armada M-700 in X
Pro SP2.

When I try to install the network card in the laptop it freezes th
mouse
and blocks access to windows task manager. I have had to go as fa
as
unplugging the power cord and removing the battery to get the lapto
to shut
off or reset Ctl-Alt -del did nothing

D-link says it is a resource conflict and sent me here

HELP

Thanks

Mike

-