Replica? Not Replica? (converted with Microsoft program)

KT

Hi there! My database was replicated and I converted it to the regular
database with a program I downloaded from microsoft. The conversion
worked well and the database is now a regular database (to me).
However, when I tried to run the User-level security wizard, I got an
error message saying that this wizard cannot be ran on a replica.
(!!!)

So what should I do now? Is my database still a replica?

Thanks!

Kanley

Joan Wild

KT said:
Hi there! My database was replicated and I converted it to the regular
database with a program I downloaded from microsoft. The conversion
worked well and the database is now a regular database (to me).
However, when I tried to run the User-level security wizard, I got an
error message saying that this wizard cannot be ran on a replica.
(!!!)

Are you sure you are looking at the unreplicated database? The wizard may
not have done a thorough job.

Try importing into a new database. Also you may need to clean up some
fields. See
http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=11#11

KT

Help..I downloaded the program for 3.5x and tried to run it. A window
dialog popped up and then nothing happened...do you know why?

Import it into a new database, how do I do so? Export database?
Thanks!

KT

What happened was, when I was working on the design of the database, I
worked on a copy of the database in case I mess up. Does that matter?
Is that why access think mine is not the 'original' but a replica? I
have been making copies as I was working on the database..

Please help.. : (

John Vinson

What happened was, when I was working on the design of the database, I
worked on a copy of the database in case I mess up. Does that matter?
Is that why access think mine is not the 'original' but a replica? I
have been making copies as I was working on the database..

No; a copy of a database (copied with Windows Explorer say) is not a
"replica". I suspect that the database with which you started is
ITSELF a replica; any copy of it will be a replica too.

If so, there is - somewhere - a specially privileged replica in the
replica set, called the "Design Master". This is the only database in
which design changes can or should be made. If you don't have the
design master, and you know for AN ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that *nobody*
else is using any other databases in this replica set (a question
which the person who gave you the database should be able to answer),
there is a method to convert a replica into a new Design Master. But
I'd STRONGLY urge that you find the "Replication FAQ" at
http://www.trigeminal.com or at http://support.microsoft.com and read
it carefully; messing with replicated databases can be very tricky.

John W. Vinson[MVP]
Join the online Access Chats
Tuesday 11am EDT - Thursday 3:30pm EDT
http://community.compuserve.com/msdevapps

gokhan gundem

KT said:
Help..I downloaded the program for 3.5x and tried to run it. A window
dialog popped up and then nothing happened...do you know why?

Import it into a new database, how do I do so? Export database?
Thanks!

"Joan Wild" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Joan Wild

KT said:
What happened was, when I was working on the design of the database, I
worked on a copy of the database in case I mess up. Does that matter?
Is that why access think mine is not the 'original' but a replica? I
have been making copies as I was working on the database..

If you are working on a replicated database, you should *never* just make
copies of it. You always make design changes in the design master, not in a
replica. Once the design changes are finished, you can then replicate this
with all the replicas in a set.

Another important point is that you should only replicate tables, not any
other objects. You would split the database into two databases - frontend
(with all objects except the tables); and backend (just the tables). The
frontend contains linked tables (linked to the tables in the backend). Only
the backend is replicated. When you synchronize, both data and design
changes to the tables are exchanged.

I would suggest you read more on replication. Since you mentioned in your
other post that you are using Jet 3.5, see

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=164553 - replication white paper
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=182886 - replication FAQ

If you are using Access 2000/2002/2003 then you are using Jet 4.0
replication (the download you tried wouldn't work).
For Jet 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=190766 - white paper
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282977 - FAQ

Also see
www.trigeminal.com - excellent replication site
http://support.microsoft.com/support/access/content/repl/replication.asp

These should give you enough information to set up replication. If you have
further questions, I'd suggest you ask in the
microsoft.public.access.replication group.