replacing startup HD

John

Hello,
Am trying to upgrade the hd on my backup computer.
Win29Pro sp3 with a 2.5gig HD.
I used Ghost 7 to copy to my new hd 30gig. If I use the new one as a slave
everything is okay. But when trying to use it as "C" I get "ntldr is
compressed. Ctrl/Alt/Delete to reboot".
Any suggestions?
TIA
John.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Hello,
Am trying to upgrade the hd on my backup computer.
Win29Pro sp3 with a 2.5gig HD.
I used Ghost 7 to copy to my new hd 30gig. If I use the new one as a slave
everything is okay. But when trying to use it as "C" I get "ntldr is
compressed. Ctrl/Alt/Delete to reboot".
Any suggestions?
TIA
John.

See Bruce Chambers' post of June 6 on Upgrading Hardware, in which he gives
links to several MS articles that relate to this question. There are two
posts - one links to answer(s) to your question, one links to more general MS
reference sites.

If you can't find it, ask again, and I'll post my copy of Bruce's post.

HTH

Perry

Yes forget trying to ghost images on two different sized
drives it does not work. install win2k on your new drive
then copy files from old drive. sorry i am sure this is
not the short cut you wanted LOL

Eric Gisin

Clueless. Ghost was designed for different drives.

Regard the original problem: is ntldr in fact compressed?

| Yes forget trying to ghost images on two different sized
| drives it does not work. install win2k on your new drive
| then copy files from old drive. sorry i am sure this is
| not the short cut you wanted LOL

John

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the responses.
Found a post June 6th. Responses by Bill Crocker and Wolf Kirchmeir refer to
xcopy re copying from small hd to a larger one.
Question: can the drive copied "to" be used as the C drive? (After removing
the smaller one and changing the jumper)
John.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the responses.
Found a post June 6th. Responses by Bill Crocker and Wolf Kirchmeir refer to
xcopy re copying from small hd to a larger one.
Question: can the drive copied "to" be used as the C drive? (After removing
the smaller one and changing the jumper)
John.

No, The Xcopy to move files from one drive to another Eric G claims Ghost
will work w/ different size drives - I dunno, I've never used Ghost.

To use a new drive as the boot drive, you must "Move W2K to New Hardware."
That is, you must make the new drive a bootable drive.
The following post by Bruce Chambers refers you to several relevant
articles:
From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Re: New Computer, but W2K refuses to run
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:43:17 -0600

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't
forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different
Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q2
49694

Bruce Chambers

[...]