replacing a dc

  • Start date Start date

kb

Need confirmation this are the correct steps for replacing
a dc(want to keep same name)in our ads single domain
native mode forest which contains 5 dc's, 4 of which are
gcs.
This one dc holds no fsmo roles and is a global catalog
server, however we have 3 other gcs.
Get new server ready, fully patched, etc. Do not join
domain. Give it a temp name.
Remove global catalog role from server I will demote.
Run dcpromo to demote the server.
Remove the server from adsu&c.
Shut server off.
Wait for replication.
Rename new server.
Join domain.
run dcpromo.
Sound right?
Thanks

I would add the step of removing the CNAME record for the old DC in DNS
under _msdcs after the demotion of the old DC. This way everything is clean
in DNS. I would also verify replication does occur successfully with other
DC's and the other DC's are healthy.
Besides that, steps look correct.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services
From: "kb" <[email protected]>
Sender: "kb" <[email protected]>
Subject: replacing a dc
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:46:21 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Need confirmation this are the correct steps for replacing
a dc(want to keep same name)in our ads single domain
native mode forest which contains 5 dc's, 4 of which are
gcs.
This one dc holds no fsmo roles and is a global catalog
server, however we have 3 other gcs.
Get new server ready, fully patched, etc. Do not join
domain. Give it a temp name.
Remove global catalog role from server I will demote.
Run dcpromo to demote the server.
Remove the server from adsu&c.
Shut server off.
Wait for replication.
Rename new server.
Join domain.
run dcpromo.
Sound right?
Thanks

originated.

It sounds right to me. I don't believe there are any
additional steps required, but I'm not certain.

Good luck with it.

Chad
MCSE, MCP

you do not need to join the domain before dcpromo'ing, just go dcpromo after rename
and make sure you are using one of the DNS server managing the domain name