replacing a dc

kb

Need confirmation this are the correct steps for replacing
a dc(want to keep same name)in our ads single domain
native mode forest which contains 5 dc's, 4 of which are
gcs.
This one dc holds no fsmo roles and is a global catalog
server, however we have 3 other gcs.
Get new server ready, fully patched, etc. Do not join
domain. Give it a temp name.
Remove global catalog role from server I will demote.
Run dcpromo to demote the server.
Remove the server from adsu&c.
Shut server off.
Wait for replication.
Rename new server.
Join domain.
run dcpromo.
Sound right?
Thanks

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

I would add the step of removing the CNAME record for the old DC in DNS
under _msdcs after the demotion of the old DC. This way everything is clean
in DNS. I would also verify replication does occur successfully with other
DC's and the other DC's are healthy.
Besides that, steps look correct.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services
From: "kb" <[email protected]>
Sender: "kb" <[email protected]>
Subject: replacing a dc
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:46:21 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

Need confirmation this are the correct steps for replacing
a dc(want to keep same name)in our ads single domain
native mode forest which contains 5 dc's, 4 of which are
gcs.
This one dc holds no fsmo roles and is a global catalog
server, however we have 3 other gcs.
Get new server ready, fully patched, etc. Do not join
domain. Give it a temp name.
Remove global catalog role from server I will demote.
Run dcpromo to demote the server.
Remove the server from adsu&c.
Shut server off.
Wait for replication.
Rename new server.
Join domain.
run dcpromo.
Sound right?
Thanks

originated.

Chad

It sounds right to me. I don't believe there are any
additional steps required, but I'm not certain.

Good luck with it.

Chad
MCSE, MCP

Benoit Boudeville [Exchange MVP]

you do not need to join the domain before dcpromo'ing, just go dcpromo after rename
and make sure you are using one of the DNS server managing the domain name