Replace dots in values

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm having a problem with excel.
I am creating a macro to turn a report given by SAP readable.
The thing is SAP gives me quantities in this format: 3.600,000. I am working in a french computer with french settings and the "." is not recognized as a thousands mark.
When I change the "." for nothing ("") with a simple ctrl+F it works perfectly and it gives me 3600 which is the value that I need.
When I run the macro:
Selection.Replace What:=".", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False
It not only changes the . for "" but also the "," which is really annoying because now I get
3 600 000. (freaking millions and I need thousands)
I don't know what the mistake can be.

Help pleaseeee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
how about working to two decimal points (3.600.00) as opposed to your three (radix point) :)

... there have been several common conventions for which character to use for the digit group separator. If the decimal mark is a point, the digit group separator is often a comma or a space. If the decimal mark is a comma, the digit group separator is often a point or a space. The problem with the point and the comma as either decimal mark or digit group separator is that, internationally, they have both often been used for both meanings, and their meaning is context-dependent (one must know which notational system is being used in order to interpret them). Therefore the space is recommended in the SI/ISO 31-0 standard, and the International Bureau of Weights and Measures states that "for numbers with many digits the digits may be divided into groups of three by a thin space, in order to facilitate reading.
To me, I also see your writing, 3,600.000, as three million six hundred thousand, however, 3,600.00 is read by me as three thousand six hundred.

Excel must obey the mathematical laws. as best it can in the eyes of MS. :lol:

What is SAP? :)

Reaction score
Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing
What is it I don't know, our HR uses SAP ERP Human Capital Management (SAP ERP HCM)
I think they share DB's you can subscribe to, so that they all sing the same song. Like qualifications for positions. Thats why they ask for ITIL now all over the place.

Ask a Question