RENEWING IP ADDRESS

G

I have a home network, (all three computers have XP PRO installed and registered) two computers are connected thru a linksys wireless router, one wireless and one hardwire. my problem is i'm trying to connect a third computer (hard wire cat 5). the connection is there but i'm unable to connect to the web. i try the repair and the message says "the following steps of repair operation failed" (renewing the ip address). Please help i'v tried evry thing to no avail.

R

Rob Elder, MVP-Networking

Have you tried updating the drivers for the NIC in the problem PC?

AUGUSTAS73 said:
I have a home network, (all three computers have XP PRO installed and
registered) two computers are connected thru a linksys wireless router, one
wireless and one hardwire. my problem is i'm trying to connect a third
computer (hard wire cat 5). the connection is there but i'm unable to
connect to the web. i try the repair and the message says "the following
steps of repair operation failed" (renewing the ip address). Please help i'v
tried evry thing to no avail.

G

I have the exact same problem, except my network is wireless. I've been asking for help for several days now and it appears nobody has a solid solution.

Have you tried powering down your router and system, then boot up and turn on the router. From a DOS shell, type "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".

Also, be sure your routers scope is wide enough to provide an IP address to the new system. For example, if you have four systems and you're adding a fifth system, your router's IP address scope should handle (e.g.) 192.168.1.100-104 to accomodate all five systems.

Ask a Question