Rendering HTML without using MSHTML/IE

Newsgroup Reader

I'm trying to create a chat program, however I find it most of the
time these days clients use HTML or some sort of markup language to
render text on the screen. My question is how would I render HTML
without using MSHTML/IE? I already have a feeling that I'll have to
create my own control. How would I go on doing this? (I would like to
be able to edit/select text in a WinForm) Maybe someone can point to
ways of enhancing the RichText control? Or somehow using GDI+? Any
links would be helpful as that Google brings up stuff regarding to
ASP.NET

Many thanks
David (guardian65_3dave at hotmail dot com)

Tim Anderson

Newsgroup Reader said:
I'm trying to create a chat program, however I find it most of the
time these days clients use HTML or some sort of markup language to
render text on the screen. My question is how would I render HTML
without using MSHTML/IE?

If you search http://www.gotdotnet.com, the samples that is, you will find
one called "RichTextBox that displays XHTML" You can use this to
convert HTML to RTF (which is what it does). The HTML has to be
well-formed XHTML, so you might also need Chris Lovett's SgmlReader
on the same site. Or you could use a version of Tidy.

The other question is, why not use mshtml? See:

http://www.itwriting.com/htmleditor/index.php

Tim