renaming .bkf file extension

G

I have backed my hard drive to a Maxtor external hard drive. It saved it in a .bkf file. How do I change this extension so that I may open it. I'm a newbie so be gentle.
Thank you

G

GK

rogerc5 said:
I have backed my hard drive to a Maxtor external hard drive. It saved it in a .bkf file. How do I change this extension so that I may open it. I'm a newbie so be gentle.
Thank you

Open it using your system tools backup utility (xp pro). Don't change
the extension.

G

GK

rogerc5 said:
Thank you

Oh wait, not sure if the backup utility will open or just re-install the backup.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Why do you wish to change the file extension? You don't
"open" the file, you "restore" the entire Backup file.

Simply perform the following:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

When the "Backup or Restore Wizard" opens, click "Next"
and select "Restore Files and Settings", and click "Next" again.
Then "Browse" to your Backup file location.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I have backed my hard drive to a Maxtor external hard drive. It saved it in a .bkf file. How do I change
this extension so that I may open it. I'm a newbie so be gentle.
| Thank you

G

Carey,GK
Thank you all for your timely replies. My backup drive is " I". When i go to open the file it asks for a program to open it with. I may be confused, but I thought I could open the file to see what was backed up. Am I wrong in assuming this? Or did I save it wrong
Thank you

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

No, you cannot open it and explore its contents.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

| Carey,GK,
| Thank you all for your timely replies. My backup drive is " I". When i go to open the file it asks
for a program to open it with. I may be confused, but I thought I could open the file to see what was backed
up. Am I wrong in assuming this? Or did I save it wrong?
| Thank you

Ask a Question