Rename / Reorganise Domain

I have taken over support for an existing w2k network.
One W2K AD domain named www.domain.com
So the NetBIOS name is www.
Aside from it just being ugly do I need to worry about this?
I would rather have the domain named domain.com or domain.local
The AD is in mixed mode but no NT 4.0 servers installed.
W2K server is running file/print and is the DC
There is also a W2K3 server with Exchange 2003 also a DC

AD is Windows 2000

Should I just let this be or could the FQDN be interpreted as a domain with
a Child:
Forest root of domain.com
Child of www.domain.com ???

It is a single domain but I am conceded that if I change modes to native and
continually AD servers the Domain may eventually be read as orphaned child
domain especailly if the Domain is upgraded to a 2003 AD native.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
MAC-Windows-Consultant said:
I have taken over support for an existing w2k network.
One W2K AD domain named www.domain.com
So the NetBIOS name is www.
Aside from it just being ugly do I need to worry about this?
I would rather have the domain named domain.com or domain.local
The AD is in mixed mode but no NT 4.0 servers installed.
W2K server is running file/print and is the DC
There is also a W2K3 server with Exchange 2003 also a DC

AD is Windows 2000

Should I just let this be or could the FQDN be interpreted as a
domain with a Child:
Forest root of domain.com
Child of www.domain.com ???

It is a single domain but I am conceded that if I change modes to
native and continually AD servers the Domain may eventually be read
as orphaned child domain especailly if the Domain is upgraded to a
2003 AD native.

I assume you mean the name 'www' shows up in the drop-down list in the logon
security box when folks login. Boy that would be confusing. Surprised it was
let go this far. Of course it appears there was a lack of research prior to
implementing it, but that's history at this point. Besides the unusual
NetBIOS name, and if everyone's already used to it, and it works, why bother
to change it, unless there's a pure political reason.

But let's review what you posted. You said there is a Win2003 domain
controller with Exchange installed. Well, just the fact that 2003 is
installed as a DC, then the domain is actually based on 2003, because the
Schema is now 2003, disregarding it's in mixed mode.

The start of the AD DNS namespace can be domain.com, ad.domain.com,
someothername.ad.domain.com, etc etc. It doesn't matter. In this case, the
start of the AD namespace is www.domain.com. If the actual public name is
the same, then folks will have extreme difficulty getting tothe public
records because the www.domain.com internal record is actually now the
LdapIpAddress. Each DC has one and it's the one that shows up as:

(same as parent) A IpAddressOfOneOfTheDcs

Changing mode would have nothing to do with the name. Mode dictates what
additional features are available such as, group types and scopes,
replication functionality and RRAS policies.

If you want to rename it, the best thing to do is install a fresh 2003
domain controller in a brand new forest using the name you would like, with
an additional 2003 server (member server only) to install Exchange 2003 on
it (Exchange is not recommended on a DC), and migrate the mess into the new
forest.

There's always the rename function in 2003, but you have to demote all the
2000 domain controller first, however, Exchange installed in the forest
complicates it.

Your call...

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.

Yes I figured its best to leave it. If it aint broke....
Its just a house cleaning thing that is driving me nuts.

I am also adding a third server into the mix in another office (connected
via site-vpn) Due to the need for SQL and to save costs I am going with SBS
2003. So this will be a completly seperate domain. I know I cannot created
trusts between so I will need user names on each side to share any data. I
know this is not the SBS group but do you think I am shooting myself in the
foot by using SBS?

I could force it into the current doamin and put all the roles on the SBS
server... but this server will be in an off site office and I think it may be
too much traffic or am I just being to anal?

Thanks

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
MAC-Windows-Consultant said:
Yes I figured its best to leave it. If it aint broke....
Its just a house cleaning thing that is driving me nuts.

I am also adding a third server into the mix in another office
(connected via site-vpn) Due to the need for SQL and to save costs I
am going with SBS 2003. So this will be a completly seperate domain.
I know I cannot created trusts between so I will need user names on
each side to share any data. I know this is not the SBS group but
do you think I am shooting myself in the foot by using SBS?

You are complicating matters trying to save money. I wouldn't use SBS for
this. That is designed for SOHOs and not what you are trying to do.

I could force it into the current doamin and put all the roles on the
SBS server... but this server will be in an off site office and I
think it may be too much traffic or am I just being to anal?

"Force it into the current domain"?? It's not capable of that.

Sorry, dude. I would suggest to purchase a Win2003 standard edition server.
Also, do you need SQL? Will SQL-Lite work (similar to the MSDE)?

Ace