removing OS from one hardrive and keep the other OS on the 2nd hardrive

Reaction score
I have a dual boot OS setup. 250GB hardrive (1) "C" with XP Home and 400GB hardrive (2) "G" with Vista Ultimate. I want to keep "G" Vista and remove XP "C" from the other hardrive. I find alot of info on deleting vista but not xp. I've tried multiple operations to delete the partition and format the "C" hardrive, but I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Can somebody help me?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The master boot record (mbr) will be within XP on your C drive so if you delete XP Vista won't boot.

Unless you know how to rewrite the mbr within Vista your only option seems to be to format both disks, make one of them your C drive and reinstall Vista on that drive.

If you wish to back up any data from either drive it looks as though you'll either have to create a partition on one of your existing drives prior to operations or backup to external sources such as external hard drives; CD/DVD or a usb stick.

Ask a Question