remove heatsink


K

kimbo_

Hi, How do I remove the heatsink of an old AMD k7 slot a possessor? It has a
latch/lever each side of the fan, after lifting them the heatsink still
seems firmly attached.
Thanks
Kim
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jan Alter

Even though the clamp latches have been undone the cpu usually is being held
either by the thermal pad or heatsink compound that was put on the processor
before the heatsink was clamped in place. The best way to allow removal is
to turn on the computer for ten minutes or so and let the compound heat up
to soften it. Turn off the computer and try again. At that point you might
even try a light back and forth (clockwise-counter-clockwise) twisting
action on the heatsink to help free the heatsink from the compund before
pulling it up. Be cautious about lifting it straight out as you want to
avoid pulling the processor out of the socket, which would most likely
damage some of the pins.
 
L

Larry

kimbo_ said:
Hi, How do I remove the heatsink of an old AMD k7 slot a possessor? It has
a
latch/lever each side of the fan, after lifting them the heatsink still
seems firmly attached.
Thanks
Kim
From your picture link it would appear that near the cpu is 4 areas where
the cpu is tied to the hs assemble (latches should relax the tension there.
the thermal pad/grease can still cause the hs to be stuck to the cpu chip
and warming chip will help to loosen. Not sure how the cpu is attached to
the slot board so that is the precaution Jan was refering to not the mb
socket

Have never done one of those myself but looks interesting.

Larry
 
K

kimbo_

Larry said:
From your picture link it would appear that near the cpu is 4 areas where
the cpu is tied to the hs assemble (latches should relax the tension there.
the thermal pad/grease can still cause the hs to be stuck to the cpu chip
and warming chip will help to loosen. Not sure how the cpu is attached to
the slot board so that is the precaution Jan was refering to not the mb
socket
Oh right, I see what jan means now, I thought he ment to the mobo, I`ll be
aware of that.
Have never done one of those myself but looks interesting.

Larry
What`s the best way to get the old thermal grease /pad of ?
I`ll do it tomorow because I need to get some thermal grease/pad stuf.
Thanks for your advice
Kim
 
L

Larry

What`s the best way to get the old thermal grease /pad of ?
I`ll do it tomorow because I need to get some thermal grease/pad stuf.
Thanks for your advice
Kim
Dont know as a best way - but i scrape and wipe off as much as possible -
then clean with denatured alcohol/rubbing alcohol to remove as much residue
as possible. Dry throughly before appling a drop or two of grease and
spreading thinly across the cpu before putting heatsink back on

Larry
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jan Alter

Larry said:
Dont know as a best way - but i scrape and wipe off as much as possible -
then clean with denatured alcohol/rubbing alcohol to remove as much
residue as possible. Dry throughly before appling a drop or two of grease
and spreading thinly across the cpu before putting heatsink back on

Larry
I hadn't been thinking that the cpu was mounted in a socket on a card. It
should all work the same way though, and perhaps even more easily.
Take the card out of its slot after the cpu has been run for 10 minutes or
so. Undo the latches and do the clockwise/counter-clockwise twisting motion.
Then slowly lift off.


Jan Alter
(e-mail address removed)
or
(e-mail address removed)12.pa.us
 
K

kimbo_

Ok, thank you both for the great advice, i can`t get to the computer shop
untill monday or tuesday to get some thermal paste,I`ll let you know how I
get on.
Thanks again
Kim
 
J

job

Careful with any scraping.Use Acetone(Nail polish remover) to get the old
stuff off.Then polish the heatsink.Other stuff leaves behind residue that
fills in tiny gaps where the paste is supposed to go. Acetone dosn't
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

kimbo_

Hi all, following your advice I now have a 900MHz procesor instead of the
old 500.
Thanks again
Kim
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top