Remember Network Password doesn't work

Hin

Hi

I'm having problem with one of my office computer running Windows XP
Pro. It seems like it can not remember any network passwords to my
LAN computers. I have tried the following:

- checked the checkbox of "Remember Network Password" when trying to
map a network drive.

- Make sure the "Security Accounts Manager" service is started under
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

- Make sure "Network Access: Do not allow storage of credentials or
..NET Passports for network authentication" is disabled under Start >
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy >
Security Setting > Local Policies > Security Options

- Added the password to the "Manage My Network Password" under Control
Panel > User Accounts > Under the Related Task

I tried all these steps and the passwords still disapper after I
rebooted the machine. I ended up typing my user name & password each
time at the username / password prompt for the remote computer.

How can I make Windows XP remember the passwords?

Thanks!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

This fix applies to Outlook and other programs that store passwords
in the Protected Storage System Provider sub-branch of the Registry.
It also corrects some issues with Internet Explorer and Autocomplete.
Visit: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

[Repair Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Hin" <hin87> wrote in message:

| Hi
|
| I'm having problem with one of my office computer running Windows XP
| Pro. It seems like it can not remember any network passwords to my
| LAN computers. I have tried the following:
|
| - checked the checkbox of "Remember Network Password" when trying to
| map a network drive.
|
| - Make sure the "Security Accounts Manager" service is started under
| Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
|
| - Make sure "Network Access: Do not allow storage of credentials or
| .NET Passports for network authentication" is disabled under Start >
| Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy >
| Security Setting > Local Policies > Security Options
|
| - Added the password to the "Manage My Network Password" under Control
| Panel > User Accounts > Under the Related Task
|

| I tried all these steps and the passwords still disapper after I
| rebooted the machine. I ended up typing my user name & password each
| time at the username / password prompt for the remote computer.
|

| How can I make Windows XP remember the passwords?
|
| Thanks!

hin87_at_yahoo.com

Hi Carey,

Thanks for replying back. I don't use Outlook, I am just having
problem with "Remember Network Password" for connecting my local
computers that is on a LAN. However, I will try your suggestions and
see if that will work.

Thanks

hin87_at_yahoo.com

Hi,

I am hope somebody can help me with this problem. I'm still having
the same problem and I can't seem to find a solution for it. When I
click on the "Remember Network Password" on mapping a network drive,
it doesn'tseem to remember the password after I rebooted the machine.

I've tried the following:

1) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672

2) checked the checkbox of "Remember Network Password" when trying to
map a network drive.
3)- Make sure the "Security Accounts Manager" service is started under
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

4) - Make sure "Network Access: Do not allow storage of credentials
or .NET Passports for network authentication" is disabled under Start
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy >
Security Setting > Local Policies > Security Options

5)- Added the password to the "Manage My Network Password" under
Control Panel > User Accounts > Under the Related Task
it still doesn't work. Also I'm not using Outlook, just plain old
mapping network drives.

Thanks,
H.