Reload XP Pro from scratch

D

dustie

Hi all

I've decided it's time to wipe my PC and start from scratch again. I did
this many times when I had Windows 98 but am a little unsure how to do it
with XP. Can someone give me (or point me to) a step-by-step guide that I
can follow so that I don't spectacularly f**k things up? :)

Also, how can I back up all my Outlook Express mails and newsgroup settings?

Hope you can help

cheers

daz

G

.... Outlook Express mail stored in DBX files here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ED654121-12BE-453E-832D-F679CB4A694D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

They names after OE folders - Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, etc.

Good Luck!

G

first for outlook express-- you need to have regular outlook, and then import your settings from express by opening up regular outlook, go to FILE, then IMPORT, and follow the steps... after that, you need to go to FILE, then EXPORT, to a file (.pst- personal file folder) and save it to a file, then to a CD or large removable disk...

loading XP FROM SCRATCH-- boot to the XP CD and choose INSTALL WINDOWS, then delete the partition it is on (following screen will show partitions), recreate the partition and follow directions on screen to install into that partition.. it will reformat and reload automatically after that.. you only have to choose to boot from the CD the first time you put the CD in..dont choose to boot to it after that..just let windows do it's thing...

hope this helps

Ask a Question