Relationships in linked tables

G

Hello. I have a database that is split into two separate databases, database #1 has tables and database #2 has queries, forms, reports, and linked tables from database #1. In database #1, I have set up relationships between the tables that ensure referential integrity. I also chose the options for cascade update related fields and cascade delete related records. However, the two cascade options are no longer selected when I view the relationships database #2 and it will not allow me to select them. I need to be able to cascade updates and deleted records from database #2. Is there any way for me to get this to work? I would be happy to give any additional information in case this explaination is vague. Thanks.

J

John Vinson

Hello. I have a database that is split into two separate databases, database #1 has tables and database #2 has queries, forms, reports, and linked tables from database #1. In database #1, I have set up relationships between the tables that ensure referential integrity. I also chose the options for cascade update related fields and cascade delete related records. However, the two cascade options are no longer selected when I view the relationships database #2 and it will not allow me to select them. I need to be able to cascade updates and deleted records from database #2. Is there any way for me to get this to work? I would be happy to give any additional information in case this explaination is vague. Thanks.

The relationships and the cascades must be set - and can only be
enforced - in database #1 where the tables are. The reason is that if
the constraints exist database #2, there is no way they can be
enforced, since someone could open database #1 directly (or from
database #9) and do something which violates the constraints.

R

Rick Brandt

reichard said:
John,

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand why the relationships and cascades
need to be implimented in database #1. I guess I'm just wondering why the
cascades don't migrate through to database #2, while the referential integrity
does. Is there a way through a macro to cascade update records in database #2
when a change is made?

If the cascades are set up on database #1 they should work when you manipulate
the data from database #2. If they don't then you likely didn't set them up the
way you think you did.