Registry question

Newtechie

Hi -

I'm trying to find a program that will remove empty folders in the registry
after the program has been uninstalled successfully. I currently use a
program called RegSeeker to remove invalid and/or bad entries.

Does anyone know of a program that will remove the empty folders? Thanks in
advance.

Newtechie

Will Denny

Hi

There are no 'folders' in the Registry. What, exactly, are you trying to
do? XP looks after the Registry and using any Registry 'cleaner' could lead
to a non-bootable system!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Newtechie" <n/a> wrote in message
| Hi -
|
| I'm trying to find a program that will remove empty folders in the
registry
| after the program has been uninstalled successfully. I currently use a
| program called RegSeeker to remove invalid and/or bad entries.
|
| Does anyone know of a program that will remove the empty folders? Thanks
in
| advance.
|
| Newtechie

Will Denny

For XP - I haven't seen one?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Why then does Microsoft have a registry cleaner program?
|
| --
| Tumbleweed
|
| Remove my socks for email address
| | > Hi
| >
| > There are no 'folders' in the Registry. What, exactly, are you trying
| > do? XP looks after the Registry and using any Registry 'cleaner' could
| lead
| > to a non-bootable system!!
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| > |
| > | I'm trying to find a program that will remove empty folders in the
| > registry
| > | after the program has been uninstalled successfully. I currently use
| > | program called RegSeeker to remove invalid and/or bad entries.
| > |
| > | Does anyone know of a program that will remove the empty folders?
| Thanks
| > in
| > | advance.
| > |
| > | Newtechie
| > |
| > |

David Candy

They don't anymore (Regmaid is still available). When writing programs each time the program is run it reregisters itself as a new program. If one runs a program 2000 times in testing then one installs 2000 different programs into the registry (think what happens over a year). Regclean and Regmaid are designed to cleanup these entries. In earlier versions of windows a large registry could stop windows from working.

Ron

I'm sure Kelly has a good registry cleaning program under her utilities
section on her site.

They don't anymore (Regmaid is still available). When writing programs each
time the program is run it reregisters itself as a new program. If one runs
a program 2000 times in testing then one installs 2000 different programs
into the registry (think what happens over a year). Regclean and Regmaid are
designed to cleanup these entries. In earlier versions of windows a large
registry could stop windows from working.

Kelly

Thanks, David.

They don't anymore (Regmaid is still available). When writing programs each
time the program is run it reregisters itself as a new program. If one runs
a program 2000 times in testing then one installs 2000 different programs
into the registry (think what happens over a year). Regclean and Regmaid are
designed to cleanup these entries. In earlier versions of windows a large
registry could stop windows from working.

Will Denny

No!!

http://www.createwindow.com/wininfo/regclean.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| regclean.exe.
|
| --
| Tumbleweed
|
| Remove my socks for email address
| | > Which is that, you are speaking of?
| >
| > --
| > All the Best,
| > Kelly
| >
| > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
| > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
| >
| > Troubleshooting Windows XP
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
| >
| > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

| > > --
| > > Tumbleweed
| > >
| > > Remove my socks for email address

| > > lead

| > >> |
| > >> |
| > > Thanks
| > >> |
| > >> |
| > >> |

David Candy

Betcha she doesn't. She sounds like she's on a mission against them lately.

Kelly "double u" T declared the war on registry cleaners will continue even after hororific pictures of cleaners being forced to clean corrupted registries by junior technicians at the Seattle Campus.

She is answering a lot of questions at the moment "what registry cleaner did you use" (cos if you give the answer and ask a question the posters won't answer).

Ron

I'm sure she does. As it is, she has all kinds of good stuff on her site.

Betcha she doesn't. She sounds like she's on a mission against them lately.

Kelly "double u" T declared the war on registry cleaners will continue even
after hororific pictures of cleaners being forced to clean corrupted
registries by junior technicians at the Seattle Campus.

She is answering a lot of questions at the moment "what registry cleaner did
you use" (cos if you give the answer and ask a question the posters won't
answer).

Tumbleweed

Well, it runs, and doesnt check and stop because its on XP.
Some sites say it doesn't run on xp, some that it isnt 'compatible' (what
does that mean?) and some that it works.

Tumbleweed

Well, its meant to be built by a bunch of people at microsoft, and the help
address is at microsoft, and it was originally (though no more)
downloadable from microsoft..

Will Denny

If you want use it - use it!! You'll have sort out any problems that it
creates, for yourself!!!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Well, it runs, and doesnt check and stop because its on XP.
| Some sites say it doesn't run on xp, some that it isnt 'compatible' (what
| does that mean?) and some that it works.
|
| --
| Tumbleweed
|
| Remove my socks for email address
| | > No!!
| >
| > http://www.createwindow.com/wininfo/regclean.htm
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| > |
| > | --
| > | Tumbleweed
| > |
| > | Remove my socks for email address

| > trying
| > could

| > | > >> |
| the
| > use
| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |
| > | > >> |

| > |
| > |

Kelly

You are correct, David. However, it hasn't been just lately, it has been
from day 1 (way back in my Win98 days). Reg Cleaners (ALL of them) should
be avoided by mid-users. That said, even running the common spyware
cleaners needs expertise, as of late. One in particular removes
sndvol32.exe and then the posts come here. And many, many others.

Tweaking is great and is one thing, but users need to know the difference
with using reg cleaners and all other cleaners. Meaning, know exactly the
key/value you are reading before checking for deletion.

Rule of Thumb, back in the day: Don't remove anything that you didn't
put/place there.