Registry Has a Redundant Folder

Boris

In this key,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
I have two \CurrentVersion folders.

That is, you see this
....\Windows\CurrentVersion
\CurrentVersion

The first CurrentVersion listed is something like this
\App Management
\App Paths
..
..
..
\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CD8K-P93BK-YI3...} 2
this contains many %systemRoot%\system32\xxxxx.cpl entries
..
..
another 37 folders
..
..

The second \CurrentVersion contains only one subfolder, \Control Panel

\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CD8K-P93BK-YI3...} 2
this contains one entry %SystemRoot%\system32\NicConfigSvc.cpl
This probably is the network card configuration applet.

Question: How is it possible to have two subfolders, within the same
folder, named exactly the same? You can't do that in the File Explorer
world. Is the registry different in this respect, or is this a
corruption that has no effect on my machine?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Boris,

It's impossible to have two sub-keys with the same name, and under one key. Select the redundant "CurrentVersion" key, and press F2. Can you see a blank space at the end of the string?

My guess is that you have a "CurrentVersion", and ""CurrentVersion " keys, as below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion ]

For more clarity, pls export this branch:

Compress (.zip) it and upload it to a free web host and provide us the link. Or send the .zip attachment to my email id.

<Boris> wrote in message In this key,
[...]

Ah ha. You're exactly right. There was a blank space at the end of the
second CurrentVersion folder, just like you show above. I wonder how
that happened, or what that is, if it's intentional (which I doubt).

I am leaving it alone, though, since my network configuration aplet is
contained within.

Thank you.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Boris,

One of the scripts/software that you may have installed, probably have added the "CurrentVersion " key erroneously.