steve

I have created a component in component designer that just changes 2
Registry keys:
- Host Name
- Computer Name
There are no files or anything else, just 2 entries under Registry Data. I
set the build order to 1500. When I included this component in my image and
booted to it, the Host Name and Computer Name had not changed. Thought
about adding a RunOnce or FBA Generic Command resource. Suggestions?

Steve

K

KM

steve,

Setting build order won't probably help you since the computer name gets set during FBA (you may even see the appropriate command log in FBALog.txt).

Setting up FBA Generic Command may help you but make sure you set late FBA phase for it (8500 if you don't have System Cloning Tool in your image). RunOnce request may bring more problems since it is not as controllable as FBA Generic Command. Another thing to keep in mind is that reading the host name happens at the early phase of OS load and you will need to reboot the machine right after you change the computer name to take the change in affect (there is a reboot flag for FBA Generic Command).

Btw, MS recommended way is to use SetComputerNameEx XP API to set the device name. Although, it only changes the registry values you mentioned below it may be worth to use it since it is going to be a way compatible with future versions of XP/XPe.

KM
BSquare Corporation

s> I have created a component in component designer that just changes 2
s> Registry keys:
s> - Host Name - Computer Name
s> There are no files or anything else, just 2 entries under Registry
s> Data. I set the build order to 1500. When I included this component
s> in my image and booted to it, the Host Name and Computer Name had not
s> changed. Thought about adding a RunOnce or FBA Generic Command
s> resource. Suggestions?

s> Steve

Ask a Question