Reg Add - Where am I going wrong??

B

Brian Graham

I'm trying to add a key to the (Windows XP SP2) registry to disable Netware file caching. Its for all database users, ultimately in a batch file called from the login script.

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetWareWorkstation\Parameters /v "File Caching" /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

Instead of adding the key, the batch file just loops the command over and over..

If someone can offer some insight, it would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll go bang my head against the wall some more.

Thanks.

B

Brian Graham

Found the problem. The batch file being invoked was called reg.bat . Bad naming choice. It was calling itself again, rather than using the reg command.
--
Brian
I'm trying to add a key to the (Windows XP SP2) registry to disable Netware file caching. Its for all database users, ultimately in a batch file called from the login script.

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetWareWorkstation\Parameters /v "File Caching" /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

Instead of adding the key, the batch file just loops the command over and over..

If someone can offer some insight, it would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll go bang my head against the wall some more.

Thanks.

M

Mark V

In said:
Found the problem. The batch file being invoked was called
reg.bat . Bad naming choice. It was calling itself again, rather
than using the reg command. --
Brian

I'm trying to add a key to the (Windows XP SP2) registry to
disable Netware file caching. Its for all database users,
ultimately in a batch file called from the login script.

REG ADD
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetWareWorkstation\Paramet
ers /v "File Caching" /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

Instead of adding the key, the batch file just loops the command
over and over..

Seen that before <VBG> Glad it is sorted now.
One additional suggestion is to always use fully qualified paths
(including the extension) in batch files.
e.g <FQP>\REG.EXE ADD ...

And another is that quoting the registry path always never hurts
and can help a lot on occasion. <G>

Ask a Question