Recovery Console will not install in MCE 2005 SP2

Mark

I tried to install the Recovery Console in Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2, but an
error occurs, and continues to install. However, after the Recovery Console
installation and restart of Windows, there is no prompt to enter in to the
Recovery Console.

I run:

E:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons

This Windows Setup error message displays:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup
was unable to load the file E:\I386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL.

Then the Windows Setup window displays that the Recovery Console needs
approx. 7MB of disk space to install and click Yes to install or No. I
click Yes and the Recovery Console installs without any errors. The last
dialog window that appears shows that the Recovery Console successfully
installed.

Anyone else experiencing this error or is this a known problem?

Thanks.

Jon

It should still install successfully despite any message about an upgrade
option being, or not being available.

It should add a line like
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
to your c:\boot.ini file.
You could try adding that manually.

Check your various drives in the root folders for a folder C:\cmdcons,
D:\cmdcons etc. which is where Recovery Console is stored.

--
Jon

If you would be well served, serve yourself

It's certainly worth mentioning that "Mark" <nipperspot-at-hotmail-dot-com>
had previously written the following in message
news:[email protected]....

Mark

Thanks for the information.

I checked the c:\boot.ini file and it shows the following in the [operating
systems] section:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

and the C:\CMDCONS directory exists along with the BOOTSECT.DAT file.

I'm not sure why the prompt is not displaying on boot up.

Jon

Couple of possibilities....

(1) The "timeout=" setting in your [boot loader] section may be too low.
(2) Your system is using another boot.ini on one of your other drives (ie
another drive is the active partition) if you have a multidrive setup.

--
Jon

Now that we have all this useful information, it would be nice to be able to
do something with it. Actually, it can be emotionally fulfilling just to get
information. This is usually only true, however, if you have the social life
of a kumquat.
-UNIX Programmer's Manual

Jon said:
It should still install successfully despite any message about an upgrade
option being, or not being available.

It should add a line like
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
to your c:\boot.ini file.
You could try adding that manually.

Check your various drives in the root folders for a folder C:\cmdcons,
D:\cmdcons etc. which is where Recovery Console is stored.

--
Jon

If you would be well served, serve yourself

It's certainly worth mentioning that "Mark"

Mark

The Gateway MX6920 laptop has a system restore feature that displays some
text with a two second countdown to press F11 to enter the System Restore
(second partition on the hard drive -- D:). This is blocking the Recovery
Console prompt appearing, however, if I press the space or an arrow key, the
menu does appear where I can boot in to either Windows XP MCE 2005 or
Recovery Console. When I select Recovery Console, this error occurs:

File \minint\system32\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 14.

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Now I need to figure out why this occurs. I could not find anything in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base about this error or problem.

Any suggestions or solutions on this error?

Jon said:
It should still install successfully despite any message about an
upgrade option being, or not being available.

It should add a line like
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
to your c:\boot.ini file.
You could try adding that manually.

Check your various drives in the root folders for a folder C:\cmdcons,
D:\cmdcons etc. which is where Recovery Console is stored.

--
Jon

If you would be well served, serve yourself

It's certainly worth mentioning that "Mark"
<nipperspot-at-hotmail-dot-com> had previously written the following in
message I tried to install the Recovery Console in Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2, but
an error occurs, and continues to install. However, after the Recovery
Console installation and restart of Windows, there is no prompt to enter
in to the Recovery Console.

I run:

E:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons

This Windows Setup error message displays:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because
Setup was unable to load the file E:\I386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL.

Then the Windows Setup window displays that the Recovery Console needs
approx. 7MB of disk space to install and click Yes to install or No. I
click Yes and the Recovery Console installs without any errors. The
last dialog window that appears shows that the Recovery Console
successfully installed.

Anyone else experiencing this error or is this a known problem?

Thanks.

Jon

You could try completely removing the Recovery Console and then reinstalling
it, to see if the error message recurs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
(delete instructions also on the same page)

--
Jon

The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that "Mark"

Mark said:
[...]

I reloaded Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2 on the laptop because I thought possibly
one or more files may have been missing from the pre-installed Windows XP
MCE 2005 SP2 installation on the laptop due to this error and it occurs
again after installng the Recovery Console. Thus I have essentially
completely removed the Recovery Console and installed it again.

This is frustrating! :)

I will remove the Recovery Console per the instructions, but I doubt it will
do any good after I had already reloaded the Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2 on the
laptop.

Any other suggestions in the meantime?

"Mark" <nipperspot-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message
[...]

in message I tried to install the Recovery Console in Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2,
but an error occurs, and continues to install. However, after the
Recovery Console installation and restart of Windows, there is no
prompt to enter in to the Recovery Console.

I run:

E:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons

This Windows Setup error message displays:

The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because
Setup was unable to load the file E:\I386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL.

Then the Windows Setup window displays that the Recovery Console
needs approx. 7MB of disk space to install and click Yes to install
or No. I click Yes and the Recovery Console installs without any
errors. The last dialog window that appears shows that the Recovery
Console successfully installed.

Anyone else experiencing this error or is this a known problem?

Thanks.

Jon

You could also try the recovery console installation without the "dynamic
update" bit

eg using the alternative command

winnt32 /cmdcons /dudisable

If anything else occurs to me, I'll suggest it after the weekend.

--
Jon

As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.

Jon said:
[...]

No matter what I did, the Recovery Console would not successfully install.
I gave up and removed XP SP2 MCE 2005 and install XP Pro SP2.

I had another problem where the Recovery Console would not see the
iastor.sys SATA driver file and I copied it to c:\cmdcons to correct this
error.

Thanks for all the help.

Jon said:
You could try completely removing the Recovery Console and then
reinstalling it, to see if the error message recurs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
(delete instructions also on the same page)

--
Jon

The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that "Mark"
<nipperspot-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote the following in
[...]

yw - not an easy problem to solve, via remote forums like these, I suspect.
Thanks for posting back.

--
Jon

Forewarned is forearmed

The previous comment in this thread was actually made by "Mark"

Mark said:
[...]

following in message I tried to install the Recovery Console in Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2,