Recent Hols

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A few pics from the hol.

Went from here

attachment.php

The cathedral on St. Peter and Paul Fortress, St.Petersburg.

attachment.php

The Hermitage Museum, formerly the Winter Palace of Tsar Nicolas II, stormed in the 1917 revolution.

To here

attachment.php

St. Basil's, Red Square, Moscow.

attachment.php

The world's largest ever bell in the Kremlin. It was never hung as it cracked shortly after it was made.Complete with sundry Russian citizens.

With places like this in between

attachment.php

Church, constucted entirely of wood, on Kizhi Island, Lake Onega.

attachment.php

Same church, different view.

First day was pouring with rain, the rest of the trip was sunshine. :)

Attachments

• DSCF4224a.jpg
    DSCF4224a.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 591
  • DSCF4219a.jpg
    DSCF4219a.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF3193a.jpg
    DSCF3193a.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 542
  • DSCF4180a.jpg
    DSCF4180a.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCF4198a.jpg
    DSCF4198a.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 616
  • DSCF4350a.jpg
    DSCF4350a.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited by a moderator:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks incredible! I'd love to go to Russia someday :) However the first 4 attachments don't seem to be working - could you try re-attaching them?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm only seeing two pics of that beautiful wooden church too Niv, which looks pretty spectacular. Looking forward to seeing the others very much. :nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hmmm............ I'll try again.

I'll post some of the Moscow Underground later. See if you think it compares with London. :)

edit (Ian): Fixed image links for you and added them back to 1st post.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It looks like a really interesting place, and that bell sure is a whopper! Such a shame it never rang.

My step-brother and sister-in-law started off their year long honeymoon (yes you read that right!) in Moscow, they said it was a fascinating place.

Reaction score
Hi nivrip great photo's you certainly had a good time there. Unfortunately the the ones in your last post I get an error on them ( 404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.) but would love to be able to see them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cracking pics Niv! Would really like to go there myself some time :)

Out of interest, how did you find the people there?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Great pix :)

Russian architecture definitely has an Asian/Mongol/Middle East influence, all them rooftop onions ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Niv yer a real lucky git. Did you get to see the Amber Room at the Palace ? :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a beautiful ship in the first pic and such a lovely coach outside the Hermitage Museum. Was that for a dignitary, or is it for the tourists?

The buildings look amazing... and that bell looks enormous! Must have been a fantastic place to visit Niv.

Will there be more - pics I mean? :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Out of interest, how did you find the people there?

As someone else said "it's very easy, they're everywhere you look" :D

But seriously, the people in Russia are wonderful. Very friendly, helpful and they have a great sense of humour, probably the nearest to our own that I have ever come across. They refer to the embalmed body of Lenin, still on show in Red Square, as "Pickled Lenin".I suppose they need to have a good sense of humour considering what they have lived through, especially wars and the horrors of the Soviet times. Now,however, they can speak freely about times past and realise that things are much better now. Only some of the older people long for the old days when everyone had a job, got the very basics in foodstuffs and all got a pension, however measly. In short, they didn't have to think for themselves as everything was done for them and they simply had to do as they were told.

I went to Russia in 1996, just five years after the break up of the Soviet Union when you might expect that Russians would be very wary of foreigners. But even then they were so, so friendly. A Russian I knew took me to meet several friends of his and they could not do enough for us. We slept on their floors, they fed us and, of course, gave us lots to drink. I dug out some of the photos from then and the big difference is the traffic in Petersburg and Moscow. In 96 there was very little traffic but now both these modern cities are just long, long traffic jams.

Having said all that, I have been very lucky to travel to a great many places on this big world of ours and I always, yes always, feel that people everywhere are basically friendly and willing to help

Reaction score
:thumb:Great Pictures nivrip, aint it strange that where ever you go in the world you can always find some one who can speak english but many of us cannot speak any foreign languages at all. I remember when I went to the Olympic Games in Rome in 1960 I met a Italian lad and at school he was learning three foreign languages French, German and English I at the time was just learning English and now I cannot remember any of my French.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Did you get to see the Amber Room at the Palace ? :D

Certainly did. In the Catherine Palace at Pushkin just outside Petersburg. The whole room is constucted from amber, gold leaf and mirrors.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are not my pics as photography is strictly banned in the Amber Room.

a lovely coach outside the Hermitage Museum

Simply for tourists, TC.

Attachments

• 120px-Bernsteinzimmer01.jpg
    120px-Bernsteinzimmer01.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 220px-Bernsteinzimmer02.jpg
    220px-Bernsteinzimmer02.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 156

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I said I'd post some pics of the Underground in Moscow, so here goes.

Went on a quick trip which involved changing at a couple of stations and took these pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Incredible. Almost as good as some of the stations on the Northern Line. :D

Attachments

• DSCF4303ab.jpg
    DSCF4303ab.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF4304a.jpg
    DSCF4304a.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF4306a.jpg
    DSCF4306a.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF4308a.jpg
    DSCF4308a.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF4311a.jpg
    DSCF4311a.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF4312a.jpg
    DSCF4312a.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF4313ab.jpg
    DSCF4313ab.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 169

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ugh, it's ghastly :eek: Not my taste at all. Almost as bad as those gaudy buildings in Barcelona.

Sorry, but riding the Metro would probably give me nightmares.

Gimme white tiled tunnels and adverts for Gossard bras and Wrigleys spearmint any day ;)