Realtek 8139

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the link below will download drivers that will work on XP, ME, 98SE, 2000

ftp://152.104.238.194/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd8130810xseries/rtlsetup-rtlnic(621)(0620).zip

(copy and paste into the address bar)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've got my Windows set up OK, it's my FC2 Linux I want to network now and it's not clear which driver is for my distro.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
from what i can find fedora is based on redhat, i dont knw which kernel though you'll need to find out, but ine of the following should work

this one for 2.4

ftp://202.65.194.18/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd8130810xseries/linux24x-8139cp(160).zip

or this one for 2.2

ftp://202.65.194.18/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd8130810xseries/linux22x-8139cp(100).zip

or this one for 1.2 - 2.2

ftp://202.65.194.18/cn/nic/rtl8139abcd8130810xseries/netdrivers.tgz

Reaction score
How about stock driver modules?

Hi,

Both 2.4 and 2.6 series kernels come with support for most NICs. I've been using the 8139too module succesfully with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. If you're using a stock Fedora kernel my guess is you'll get going with

insmod 8139too

Of course vendor drivers may have extra features, but I haven't seen a need to try anything else.

Regards,
-u-

Reaction score
My kernel is 2.6 not 2.5 as I said previously. It probably doesn't need the drivers as you say upside but I'm having trouble networking to my W2k and W98 machines and thought I should check the NIC drivers. I also tried to network to a WinXP machine and that wouldn't respond either, I just keep getting the message that it can't find the network path.The TCP\IP settings are OK, sometimes the Windows can 'see' the Linux machine and sometimes it can't. The Linux machine doesn't 'see' anything on the network though. I'm using Samba but don't fully understand what is involved.

Reaction score
Hi again,

Try pinging the Linux host from the Windows host and vice versa. This will tell you if the network is configured correctly and whether there is an issue with firewall settings. If both can ping each other, I think you can safely assume the NIC is ok.

Samba is a lot more tricky! Start with the Win98, it's easier to deal with. Make sure you've got file and printer sharing on and share a folder or two. Then try to list shares on it from the Linux box anonymously. On the command line do

smbclient -L ip_address

Where ip_address is that of the Windows box. Hit enter if you're asked for a password. You should get information about the Windows machine: workgroup, OS and such, perhaps even a list of shares. If you don't even get that, file sharing is not configured properly on the windows box or there's a problem with the network and/or firewall.

To test authentication, do the same but with a user/password combo you know is good on the Windows box:

smbclient -L ip_address -U username -P password

If things are looking good you might want to use the linneighborhood program to connect to Windows shares, or use smbmount from the commandline if that is your thing.

To share files and folders from your Linux box, you have to configure the Samba server by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf either manually or using a graphical tool. I prefer manual editing because of the extra control. Make a copy of the original file! Edit the original or write your own. Here's a sample of things you should change to get started.

workgroup = WORKGROUP (or whatever you've got on your windows box)
security = share

This should let you connect to the /home directory of the user you're logging in as (see below for adding Samba passwords to Linux user accounts). If you want a global share add something like

[share]
comment = Shared for everyone
path = /home/share
browseable = yes
force user = nobody
read only = no
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777

Save smb.conf. Now create a directory /home/share and make the owner nobody:

mkdir /home/share
chown nobody /home/share

Now get the new settings with

service samba reload

You should be able to see the Linux machine under WORKGROUP after a few minutes. On XP and probably Win98 you can connect directly if you're in a hurry. WindowsKey+R to open the Run dialog, then enter

\\ip_address\

Where ip_address is that of the Linux box, of course. You'll probably want to map shares as network drives, too.

It's also a good idea to add a user to Linux that has the same name as your Windows user. Then add the Windows password to it as root

smbpasswd -a username

Reload the configuration again and remember to keep accounts and passwords in sync! :thumb:

Regards,
-u-

Reaction score
Hi upside
Pinging was successful both ways. Unfortunately I have to work the weekend so it will probably be Wednesday before I can try your suggestions - I'll let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Hi,
I am working in VB. I have used edit mask control to retrive data for date
can u tell me how to initialize the mask contol
for text we can initilize with
text1.text = ""

but for mask edit contorl which property we should put and how to initialize with 00/00/00

Reaction score
Hi upside
The smbclient -L results are
[root@Linux root]# smbclient -L 192.168.0.2
params.c:parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file: *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %\n *passwd:
params.c:parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
session request to 192.168.0.2 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

I can ping the w98 by IP address and by name successfully, I can ping the Linux machine by IP address only - not by name.
My Linux is a partition on a 3boot PC, with w98 and wxp, the windows partitions all network and share Internet connection (using the same IP/workgroup etc. settings) so I think the problem is with the Linux machine, or some Windows incompatability thing.
There are shared folders etc. on the w98 PC, and there are no username and passwords set on this machine either.
The w98 firewall has the Linux machine in the 'trusted' zone.
Does this mean anything to you?

Reaction score
I've made a little progress since my earlier post. My w98 machine is called Spare and my Linux is called Linux, here are smbclient results for w98:

[root@Linux root]# smbclient -L Spare
Password:

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
LOSTFILE Disk
MY MUSIC Disk
UNZIPPED Disk
MY DOCUMENTS Disk
C Disk
IPC$ IPC Remote Inter Process Communication

Server Comment
--------- -------
SPARE

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
HOME SPARE

Results for Linux:

[root@Linux root]# smbclient -L Linux
Password:
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc2]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)

Server Comment
--------- -------
LINUX Samba

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
HOME LINUX

I'm not seeing anything in Network neighbourhood or in the Windows network to show the other computers.
I followed some instructions for SWAT but the killall -HUP inetd resulted in 'no process killed' so there looks to be a problem there.

Reaction score
Hi,

Lots of stuff there. :)

"killall -HUP inetd" should restart the internet superserver, but you probably have Samba running as a stand-alone daemon rather than through inetd. Inetd is most probably not running, hence the error. Anyway, the way to control services in RedHat/Mandrake/Fedora is with the service command, such as

service inetd status
service inetd start
service inetd stop
service samba restart
... etc.

You should see a list of services with the command. You should check this because I can't remember offhand if the service is samba or just smb.

ls /etc/init.d

Once you've restarted or reloaded samba, wait for a while to see if it appears in Network Neighbourhood. If it doesn't don't worry too much.

The smbclient results look good! The reason for not seeing a list of shares on the Samba box is that it has tighter security - it won't allow just anybody to enumerate the shares. To get the list of shares on the samba box you must have a valid username and password. If you have shares available to guest, then you should be able to see it, however.

Next steps: create a Samba user account and try to access the Linux box using the UNC path rather than Network Neighbourhood. See my previous message about smbpasswd and using the UNC path: \\Linux\ or \\ip_address\ where ip_address is the Linux box IP address.

Reaction score
hi upside
I'm getting nearer I think, here are smbclient results:
(spare is w98 and Linux is Linux)

[root@Linux root]# smbclient -L spare
Password:

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
LOSTFILE Disk
MY MUSIC Disk
UNZIPPED Disk
MY DOCUMENTS Disk
C Disk
IPC$ IPC Remote Inter Process Communication

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

[root@Linux root]# smbclient -L Linux
Password:

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
public Disk Public
data Disk Data
share Disk Shared for everyone
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba SMB Server)
ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (Samba SMB Server)

Server Comment
--------- -------
LINUX Samba SMB Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
HOME LINUX

The inetd status came back as unrecognised service.
Using the run box \\192.168.0.1\ on the windows98 machine got message 'the network name cannot be found'
I'm using root as username and the same password on each machine.
There are still no icons in the network neighbourhood (except the w98 host) or windows network screens.

Reaction score
The network is now complete. The Linux firewall was blocking my attempts to network and once the eth0 device was allowed it connected.
I have established Internet connection sharing by installing Firestarter.
The only glitch is that W98 won't open the shared folder on the Linux machine, it keeps asking for the 'network password'. I've tried logging on to different accounts (including root) on the W98 machine but it won't open the folder. The folder permissions are set for read, write and execute for all users.

Ask a Question